Gerbacio

AB PLC and excel

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a project and I need communication between an AB PLC and Microsoft Excel, I already have the program and I am using RSLogix and RSLinx Gateway, the problem I have is that I do not have the plc physically and I need to buy one, what kind of AB PLC should you buy? Is there any extra module you need besides plc? I am something new with this, I graduated recently and I got a job in this company and I am a little nervous about ordering the wrong plc.
Thanks in advance for your answers and sorry for my bad english.

When selecting an Allen-Bradley PLC, data you need to compile:  types of I/O (i.e., discrete, analog, relay output, isolated, etc. - this will identify the I/O module types needed), quantity of I/O (this will identify the number of I/O modules needed), CIP motion axes (number of integrated motion devices, such as VFDs or Servos), software (what do you have).

If you need no I/O, need no motion axes, and just need an A-B PLC...a CompactLogix PLC is good the place to start (5370 L1, requires Studio5000 software) or a MicroLogix 800 (requires Connected Components Workbench software).

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/1769-pp012_-en-e.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/1769-sg001_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/1761-sg001_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/br/2080-br001_-en-p.pdf

If you want to save money, you can purchase a surplus PLC (used, or new-old stock [NOS]).  Amazon and eBay are great resources.

Once the PLC is selected I use an Excel worksheet to define all, or at least most, of the parameters that I need to program the PLC. I start with a "base" IO sheet and add / move cards as needed. The included Excel worksheets are specific to the industry that I work in and the PLC that is used. They aren't complete simply because I don't know what I'll need until it's time to program it. If I need to add or move a card I use copy / paste or cut / paste to assemble the IO sheet to match the PLC. Cards are selected based on the amount of IO desired PLUS a good bit of spare IO. I never use all of the points on a card (part of my "spares"). I try to group IO based on type. The IO sheet always comes first and the program and documentation are developed from it.

I included one fairly large real world IO sheet. Note the extra tabs (New Transmitter, etc) and color coding. That was all done to show the IO added during a major expansion. It made it easier to keep track of programming changes that were needed. Later versions of the IO sheet do not have the color coding or extra tabs.

I also made a "base" program (can't find the Micrologix version). It has all of the cards and tags that I normally use in a PLC every time. For instance, it has one 16 point analog input card that has already been configured. I did that because I scale the analog points on the card (some don't. I prefer it) and there are numerous parameters to set x 16. I start with all points scaled 0-100% and alarming turned off. If I need to add more AI's I just copy the the card that comes in the base IO sheet and correct the slot number and documentation. All points are documented so that I can export the tags, search and replace OR copy and replace from the IO sheet. I try to minimize typing by cutting and pasting from the IO sheet and then importing the corrected documentation file.

Again, all of the attached files are industry specific and may not be a perfect fit for you. Hopefully they will give you some ideas

Base SLC IO Sheet Rev 0.xls

Blank CLX IO Sheet Rev 0.xls

CompactInitial.ACD

LogixInitial.ACD

Micrologix Base IO Sheet Rev 0.xls

Real World Example.xls

1 person likes this