wildswing

Merging 2 RSLogix 5000 projects

6 posts in this topic

Hey fellas,

A few years ago, we upgrade a group of VFDs. We decided to install a ControlLogix plc (call it plc2) to run these drives along side the existing PLC5 that runs that area of our facility (call that plc1). Now it's time to convert the plc1 to ControlLogix. Something we're considering is merging plc2 into the newly converted plc1 project.

I've already played around with the files, importing plc2 programs and tags/comments into plc1 . I've also gone so far as to edit the L5K files, copying and pasting plc2 IO configuration into plc1.

Most things seem to work out ok, except when I import tags/comments, I get a number of warnings telling me it cannot import IO tags. It can only replace. So the imported (copy n pasted) IO configuration from plc2 does not create it's IO tags as if I had manually created them, and I cannot import them. Must I recreate the IO configuration of plc2 in plc1 manually so that it creates the IO tags or can I also copy n paste those from one L5K file to the other?

I've talked to Rockwell tech and they're looking into my questions. I'm waiting for a reply. In the meantime, any other tips, tricks or advice you guys have would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Typically I just open two instances of the RSLogix, open both programs, select the tags in the source, select the first empty spot in the target, and hit Ctrl-V and paste them in. If I have forgotten to update the UDT's I'll get an error for the tags that are created with UDT's (User Defined Datatypes). So... copy and paste the UDT's first. 

I also drag and drop routines. There's not much you can't do with Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V.

It only takes one tiny little error to hose up a tag import / export. 

Thanks Michael.  What do you mean by, "First empty spot in the target..."?  Are you talking about copying and pasting tags or IO config?

Either. For instance, I despise setting up analog cards, especially 16 point analog cards :o) So, I have a "base program" with one of each card that I normally use set up the way I normally configure them. For analog inputs I make them all 4-20mA and scale them 0-100%. Later, when I know the scale of the transmitter, I'll edit the config and change the 0-100 to be whatever the transmitter is. When I have a new program to write I'll drag a card from the baseline into the IO config of the new program, change it's slot as needed, redo the description (I like to document every spec of the program), and it's good to go.

Empty spot meant the first empty spot in the tagname database. The bottom of the stack of tags in other words

Thanks for clarifying.  Copying and pasting within RSL5k never even crossed my mind.  I'll give that a shot.  Thanks again.

We had a system with a 1756-L55 controlling the  main part (it replaced an old PLC2 about 6 years ago) with an older series CompactLogix (serial port, no networking) controlling one section.  We replaced the L55 with an L71 (super easy migration) and the CompactLogix with an -AENT module to turn that into a remote chassis on the L71.  The CompactLogix had only one program and mostly program-scoped tags so moving it into the L71 was relatively easy.  I then just built the CompactLogix chassis in the IO configuration and re-aliased the program tags that referred to the compact IO modules to point to the "new" chassis and it was done.  It took less than an hour to do all of that.  It took the electricians longer to run the network cable than it took to make the program changes.  The L71 is now running 2 programs: the old L55 program and the moved CompactLogix program.

I've only done it that once, so I don't have any written instructions to share.