lamboom

LinMot position streaming via E/IP

13 posts in this topic

Using Ethernet/IP to stream position data to a LinMot Drive, may be quite difficult because the LinMot requires a precise period between data points.  I've been told PVA streaming has been done with the Rockwell PLC, but the Ethernet IP bus needs to be updated at regular intervals (the requested packet interval between the PLC and the drive), and the task/ladder that has the streaming command is also examined at those regular intervals.

This sounds like a timed messaging system over Ethernet, to satisfy the LinMot's requirement for precisely intervaled packets, which would compensate for Ethernet/IP's general lack of precise timing between data packets.     (the preferred method is to use EtherCAT)

Has anyone ever tried this.. ?   Please describe the method with a little detail .. I'm trying to see if an Omron NJ can stream PV or even just P ... using their Ethernet/IP port.     If Rockwell has done it successfully, I would love to know how...   Thanks much... Regards, Michael

Edited by lamboom
spell correction

Maybe too simple an answer, but....

Task can be made periodic and priorities assigned that might solve your problem.

pcmccartney - Thanks for the info. I assume you are talking about a Rockwell system..  If so... I would need very specific details as to how that program might be written.

I don't know anything about Rockwell/Allen Bradley PLC's ..  I'm trying to understand the Rockwell process, to see if it might be adaptable to a Omron.   It's more about the philosophy which includes technical specifics.   Once understood, I could try and see if Omron has a similar functionality.

Specifically... Is it possible to describe the steps, in order... and discus what they each do,  using Alan Bradley .. kinda like a tutorial?   Thanks, Michael

You need to talk to LinMot, they'll have a manual specific to the setup of Ethenet/IP and programming examples for Rockwell.  While you are at it, ask them for the same info for the Omron system but be sure to specify the protocol type.

Been there..done that ... :-)   This is the message I got from LinMot: " PVA streaming has been done with the Rockwell PLC, but the Ethernet IP bus needs to be updated at regular intervals (the requested packet interval between the PLC and the drive), and the task/ladder that has the streaming command is also examined at those regular intervals. "   That's why I'm looking for a Allen Bradley expert.. who might know the specifics of what LinMot has said.    LinMot is aware of my project using the Omron NJ to control the C1250-IP .. They don't give it high hopes .. In fact, they aren't approving my use of their E/IP drive on the NJ's E/IP port for position streaming.  I can understand that.  Also, LinMot is not very familiar with the NJ CPU... and, can't really help beyond the information above.

If it has been done successfully by Allen Bradley ... there's a chance there might be a way for Omron's NJ to do so too.    LinMot doesn't know the "specifics" of the Allen Bradley E/IP streaming system.  They just know what you see above.   Hopefully there's an Allen Bradley expert out there that can comment with some clues and information.    Regards, Michael

Edited by lamboom

Fine, frustrating, but fine....

They make claims of supporting E/IP but don't have any example code or manuals.  Not sure if I would ever use them.  Try a differnet tack, does Omron have anything to say about LinMot?

No.....  Many of my eMails have gone unanswered... However there are several very helpful people on this form that know quite a bit about the Omron NJ .. wonderful people.. :-)

Just thought of something... Were you talking about LinMot or Omron on the manuals and code statement you just made?

Edited by lamboom

I was talking about LinMot and their claims to support multiple communications protocols including E/IP.  Generally, those vendors will have manuals and example code to get you started, then you figure out the rest through trial and error.

On the Omron NJ side, I know that they have multiple add-on modules for various protocols including E/IP.  Was wondering if they might have a manual concerning LimMot via any protocol.

At this point I'm assuming that you are planning to use an Omron NJ and need to talk to a LinMot servo drive.  At this point, you plan to do so through EtherNet/IP.  Certainly Omron is not my strong suit, I usually call my Omron distributor and he beats on Omron (Japan) until they give him a response.

Edited by pcmccartney1
1 person likes this

NEWS FLASH ... I just got an email from Linmot about the programming of an Allen Bradley PLC for streaming to the E/IP Drive... Standby

I'll get right back to you haven't even read comment above... back soon...

20 hours ago, pcmccartney1 said:

I was talking about LinMot and their claims to support multiple communications protocols including E/IP.  Generally, those vendors will have manuals and example code to get you started, then you figure out the rest through trial and error.

On the Omron NJ side, I know that they have multiple add-on modules for various protocols including E/IP.  Was wondering if they might have a manual concerning LimMot via any protocol.

At this point I'm assuming that you are planning to use an Omron NJ and need to talk to a LinMot servo drive.  At this point, you plan to do so through EtherNet/IP.  Certainly Omron is not my strong suit, I usually call my Omron distributor and he beats on Omron (Japan) until they give him a response.

Hi again..  Yes LinMot manuals can be quite vague in the instructions and "example" category .. But, they are getting better.. the walkthru manual they sent, and I just posted, is a good example of that.  They finally started a suite of YouTube tutorials about a year ago.. and hopefully will add more.

As for the best reasons for using LinMot ... for me, that was a no-brainer.  The LinMot Linear motors last forever, Billions an' Billions of cycles, they are "very" powerful, have only one moving part, can get splashed with water, are "very" fast (like a rail gun) or extremely slow... and are space efficient ... and, if required, are very-very accurate ... they are also a bit expensive :-)

Edited by lamboom

Understood.  We tend to use a lot of IAI Robo Cylinders, Kollmorgen, etc....

Generally, comms are via E/IP, done multiple times on both Rockwell and Omron based systems with fairly easy documentation and setup.  I'll look at LinMot as an alternative.  We've also used them with Profinet and DeviceNet will similar success.

I realize your goal is to get the LinMot working on E/IP on an NJ system.  While we have engineers that have used the NJ, I haven't, so I'm not familiar with task scheduling or prioritization in the NJ systems.  Hopefully, someone can chime in.  Maybe your original posting in the Omron forum would yield some useful information.

1 person likes this