JZerb

Creating Custom Graphics for PVP Project

6 posts in this topic

Would like to spruce up some screens I've been handed that currently just have colored boxes with text in them. Plan was to take the .dxf files from the engineering drawings, import into Adobe Illustrator, edit, then export from there as a .bmp for use in FTVS. Questions are, first off, is that the best way to do what I'm looking to do? When I import the .bmp file into FTVS should I be putting it into the Images library? Or should I create my own library with custom images in Symbol Factory?

I am not a fan of overly fancy pics on control screens.  Many times the important information gets lost in the beautiful picture.  In addition imported images if too large can slow down some systems.  Simple is usually best but also making sure the information is conveyed in an easy to understand fashion is also important.  Since a lot of our development is around process control, we use the P&ID diagram as our "template."  Not an imported template but as a go by for our screen development.  The screens are developed using whatever built in graphical capabilities the software we are using provides.  Now days the available graphics are similar - especially since many HMI/SCADA systems include Symbol Factory.  I actually feel that some of Symbol Factory's valves and pumps are too busy and are counter productive to the information I am trying to convey.  I generally create a simpler object that shows the information I am trying to convey (run status, fault status, etc).  I agree that boxes are not the best looking interface design, but just be careful that you do not make things harder on the operators.  Here is a youtube vid that I created a while back for our batching system; however, you can see some of the principles that I mention i the video also. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJtTiEKFGWQ&t=2s

1 person likes this

Mr. White is correct, simpler is better.

If you do choose to use bmps, then the answer to your question is yes, you must import them into the images folder of the project.  Then put an image object on the display.

Where as Mr. White is more from a process industry (therefore the P&IDs), I do mostly machine building.  I find that AutoCad or Solidworks renderings of machines or stations of machine (converted to bmp) can be helpful as a diagnostic tool for operators and maintenance personnel.  I tend to keep the bmp in gray scale and therefore the information I add has the color and meaningful information.  Always pay attention to not overburden the operator or maintenance personnel will information or colors.

1 person likes this

Since I'm still very new to this, only about 6 months in, I appreciate the feedback about keeping the display "clean". I certainly agree and I'm only looking to spruce things up a little bit here nothing too major. It seems like you PC are doing the same thing that I am looking to do, since the HMIs I program are also used for machines. 

Now if I wanted to show a machine in a different state, for example say a lift with a platform that goes from ground level up to a mezzanine, would I be making three or four different drawings in Illustrator with the machine in different states? Or would the proper way to do that be using one picture and then moving it to different positions on the HMI screen using the Animation function in FTVS? 

JZ, be careful here.  Please remember that these images are large consumers of memory.  When making you bmps, try saving them at lower resolutions and thus reduce their file sizes.  The images will get more grainy with less or lowered resolution, so it's on you as to what looks good.

Technically, you could have multiple images displayed and have their visibility change based upon logic in the PLC.

Good idea. I didn't think of that situation. That setup may be easier then the animation Route within FTVS. And I was planning on saving whatever file format was actually the smallest KB wise. Whether it was a bmp png or jpeg.