Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keesoon

1747-pic on windows XP

5 posts in this topic

Hi did any one know why if I configure the 1747 pic interfase this take the com 1 port and if I delate this on the RS linx it keeap the com 1 port busy

Since the release of Windows 2000, there have been numerous issues with the PIC driver (and not all of them are the fault of RSLinx). Take a look at the document contained in the link below. It's title says it only applies to Windows 2000, but there is a note in the document stating that it also applies to XP. http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...C3?OpenDocument

PIC driver is not using standad com port driver - it replaces it with itself! so if you want to use com port for something else, you have to 'roll back' the old driver (which should take few seconds). PICs are very unstable under Win2k or XP. In my own experience I could barely connect, connection would drop very often, online editing was a chalange and upload/download of whole PLC program was possible only for very (!) small programs. your milage may vary... it is time to forget about PIC and use 1747-UIC which costs about the same as PIC unless you want to invest in more expencive solution like PCMK card and cable. note that for UIC you need newer RSLinx (or RSLinx Lite which is free for download from AB website).

Just a little side-track. If using the 1747-UIC to connect to the DH485 port (e.g SLC5/03 and PanelViews) then what type of cable do you use? P.S. my first post so hello everyone!