Til123

Ab plc 5/15 ife

14 posts in this topic

Hi, can anybody help me with an analogue input on a plc 5/15 via a 1771 IFE card. The input has been used with a 0-10vdc input, however there is some nasty compute functions to create a logarithmic curve for the Scada. we now need a linear calculation from 2.2v-8.5v. 2.2v = 0.0005mpa through to 8.5v = 1000mpa. I am familiar with the slc but the commands are somewhat different 

Cheers

See text for the scaling formula.

The raw data value range for 0-10v input is 0-4095.

So..

2.2v=901 raw data value

8.5v=3481 raw data value

use these value for the raw input min/max in the scaling formula. You can use a "CPT" compute instruction for this, as the PLC5/15 does not have a "SCP" instruction.

ScalingFormula.txt

Edited by Mickey
1 person likes this

Thanks Mickey,

I have done as you say and it worked thanks. C an you help me with the requirements compute function? I want low scale to read 0.0001 and high scale to be 1000. 

Dave 

Your other post said..

.001 at 2.2v

This post says .0001 at 2.2v

Which is it?

0.001 @ 2.5 v, 0.01 @3.5v5v, 0.1 @ 4.5v, 1.0@5.5v, 10@6.5v, 100@7.5v, 1000@8.5v.

Hi, sorry trying to write these on my phone which isn't going to well!

It should be 0.001@2.5, 0.0001 anything lower than 2.5v

Thanks 

Then construct your compute instruction as following.

(((1000-.001)|(3481-901))*(Raw Input-901))+.001=Scaled Value ( this is for a 2.2v min per your first post)

(((1000-.001)|3481-1024))*Raw Input-1024))+.001=Scaled Value ( this is for 2.5v min per your last post)

Only you know the correct min voltage.

Edited by Mickey

Also from your other post..

0.001 @ 2.5 v, 0.01 @3.5v5v, 0.1 @ 4.5v, 1.0@5.5v, 10@6.5v, 100@7.5v, 1000@8.5v.

This is linear starting from2.5v through to 8.5v

Those values are not linear to your voltage range.

For example 5.5 v is 50% of your range would have a scaled value of 500 (if linear) ??

Edited by Mickey

Ok thanks, the measured min v is 2.5v, the transducer goes under scale at below 2.2v is what I was trying to explain.

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the confusion 

Here is a handy tool for linear response.

Created by John Soltesz

scaling chart.xls

1 person likes this

Hi, thanks for that. Sorry for dragging this out but they don't seem to be the values I am expecting. This is off a vacuum welding machine. the datasheet for the transducer (mpa) 8.5v at atmosphere 1000mpa, then 7.5v at 100mpa, 6.5v@10mpa, 5.5v@1mpa, 4.5v@0.1mpa, 3.5v@0.01mpa, 2.5v@0.001mpa, any lower iunder scale for the instrument. As it is a vacuum machine they are particularly interested in the lower values. is it am exponential formula?

Thanks again sorry

Edited by Til123
Edit

I am not a math geek. So hopefully those that are will jump in.

It is definitely not the formula I provided above. Which is an equation for a straight line.

Edited by Mickey

Note that the pressure points are steps of 10 with voltage in 1V steps.  That is a logarithmic scale (Log-base 10).

Vacuum pressure => measured by sensor => output as analog logarithmic value => analog input into PLC => scaled/converted back into pressure

I do not believe you will be successful in converting the analog value back into a 1:1 vacuum pressure value.

As stated above, the relationship is logarithmic.

Mpa = antilog base 10 (input volts - 5.5)

The CPT instruction can't handle that, so your alternative is to build a table of values that you can index into using the analog input. You have limited memory in a 5/15 so you'll have to decide what resolution is practical for your application.