Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brucechase

Devicenet and Data Highway +

4 posts in this topic

I really haven't had much time to research this so I thought I'd start here. I have a data highway + with a couple of slc 5/04 on it. On one of the SLCs, I have a devicenet network with 7 BCR on it. I was wondering if I could attach to the devicenet through the data highway. I don't want to have to go to the machine to hardwire connect to devicenet if possible. Can this be done with my system? Comment and answers are much appreciated. BGC Sorry this is a double post, my internet connection is kinda flaky on the production floor when I connect wirelessly!! Edited by brucechase

No, you will have to use a KFD interface or PCD laptop card with the probe cable to connect directly to your DeviceNet scanner module. If you were using a ControLogix platform with both the DHRIO and DNB modules, you coud "drill-down" thru the DHRIO/DNET modules to the DNET devices using your DH+ driver. Only Logix platforms are capable of this "Gateway" feature.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the reply! I don't have any systems on Contrologix yet, but I look forward to doing something like that. Unfortunately, it will probably be years until I can do any kind of major change like that. I can alway hope for new equipment that will have it. Then I guess I will be posting a lot of questions. BGC

If you have 1747-SDN firmware 4.15 or above, you can do this with the "1747-SDN Passthrough" driver in RSLinx. This driver is similar to other "passthrough" drivers in that you have to define the SLC and the 1747-SDN through which you want to connect. You don't "drill down" in RSLinx, instead the path to the SLC-5/04 and the particular 1747-SDN is represented by the driver itself. The 1747 and 1771 DeviceNet passthrough drivers are awfully slow, though. I only use them when the alternative is driving a couple of hours to get my 1770-KFD or waiting for one to arrive by air freight the next day. I have seen OEMs who try to go cheap and don't give their service guys 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD interfaces. All of those guys hate DeviceNet because they have been purposely given the worst possible tool,