elowan

rslogix Rslogix 5000 school project help

22 posts in this topic

I am currently working on a fwd rev motor control routine, we have all of the circuit wired up and verified the physical circuit is working as intended when manually jumped.

But will not turn the outputs on... 

I triple checked my logic and it all seems right, all inputs are true all the way to the output on both the fwd and rev rungs. But still the outputs won't go true.

if I toggle an output bit it does show up on the dc out card, I haven't tried forcing anything. 

No errors or warnings, fuses are fine.

our teacher does not help as much as we'd like and we have troubleshot just about everything we can think of with our experience. 

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

And... my personal favorite... are you calling the routine?

1 person likes this

And finally...are you online?

1 person likes this

Just now, TWControls said:

And finally...are you online?

If I only had a dollar for every time I did that

Michael!  LOL I would also be a rich man!

Online and calling the routine (JSR in Allen Bradley)  have both been mentioned and the fact that you can toggle your output and dont have to force it on/off indicates that your logic is not being scanned.  Also - you didnt use the same address on two outputs did you?  Big no-no!  Last one wins...

1 person likes this

All of the above are correct, this is my second semester with rslogix so I'm not a stranger to it. And have had other classmates double check my work also. All my tags are correct. 

And yes I've figured out that it isn't scanning the routine. But why, can't figure that out.

10 hours ago, PLCMentor.com said:

Michael!  LOL I would also be a rich man!

Online and calling the routine (JSR in Allen Bradley)  have both been mentioned and the fact that you can toggle your output and dont have to force it on/off indicates that your logic is not being scanned.  Also - you didnt use the same address on two outputs did you?  Big no-no!  Last one wins...

I'm not sure this is strictly true given that it's RSLogix5000, the outputs are actioned asyncronously to the program scan therefore the output could go 'on and off' many times in one scan depending on what the RPI of the output card is set to.

Steve

You are using RSLogix5000 and not Studio5000?  Which PLC processor are you using?  You say the program is running, you are online, and "outputs will not go true".  Please provide screenshots or more detail.  A screenshot of the Controller Tags showing they are not on and a screenshot of the code showing the tags are on.  Do you have sealing branches on your code to keep the output coils energized?  Have you searched your code to make sure you do not have the same output coils used somewhere else (i.e., one coil is coded to be off, another coil is coded to be on)?

Many of us may chuckle, but only that we have experienced the same or had to troubleshoot and fix the same issues before.

Post your program so we can have a look

Like I said its not the routine, we literally copy off a lab sheet that shows us how to enter the logic. nothing wrong with tags, logic, any of those things. its something in setings. all our inputs still work, only the outputs unless i toggle a bit or force it on manually with the relay. I'll get a screenshot later when I'm at the school pc if we dont figure it out when I get there.

Is the routine that the logic is located in designated as the Main Routine for the program that it is part of?

If it is a subroutine, is it being called from an active routine?

Is the program part of a continuous or periodic task?

Is the program inhibited? Is the task inhibited?

Is the logic controlling the outputs inside a JMP-LBL zone? MCR zone?

Is the output only being controlled from more than one place in the project?

Edited by Filthy McNasty
1 person likes this

Just now, elowan said:

Like I said its not the routine, we literally copy off a lab sheet that shows us how to enter the logic. nothing wrong with tags, logic, any of those things. its something in setings. all our inputs still work, only the outputs unless i toggle a bit or force it on manually with the relay. I'll get a screenshot later when I'm at the school pc if we dont figure it out when I get there.

• Many of us may chuckle, but only that we have experienced the same or had to troubleshoot and fix the same issues before.

It's not working so something is wrong. As Will said, nobody here is laughing at you, part of learning to write a program is failing to write it correctly.

Your routine may be perfect but you may have forgotten to call it. The output card may not be enabled. Maybe the "lab document" was written in such a way that it caused you to write logic that doesn't work, on purpose. Maybe this is the teachers way of getting you to step out of the book into the real world. You need to know what the logic is doing not what is in the lab document.

I don't know how many times I've spent hours (or minutes when a customer is standing there wanting to know why his equipment isn't running) staring at logic that I KNOW is perfect when it wasn't. I've sent emails with logic attached that basically said - see if you can find something wrong with this but you aren't going to. :) Oftten the reply comes back with Check X and you'll see what the problem is.

1 person likes this

Bravo again Michael!  We all get those blinders - especially with the client over your shoulder or at 3am.

Here are some items to look at:

1.  Have you defined a main routine in your task properties?

2.  If you are using more than one routine, is their a JSR to the other routines from the main routine?

I won't be in the room till about 1pm central, but from my knowledge i set it as the main routine, there are no subroutines for this project. Our other classmates didn't have this problem so I'd assume it isn't a trick by our teacher. The last project we did was a start stop with alarm, then had to make a function block routine for it. At that time we used a subroutine. Then I deleted my main routine and the func. Block routine, started a new routine named it the same as the last "Main Routine".

so no settings for out output card etc have changed since our last WORKING project. All that's changed is creating the new routine and new tags.

could I possibly have missed a setting while I was creating the new routine? By what your saying with the defining in task properties, I may have missed that.

Edited by elowan

Just a guess but naming a routine "Main Routine" doesn't necessarily make it the primary routine called. Check the settings for the section above (I believe 'task' - I don't have Rslogix 5000 available).

1 person likes this

Just now, b_carlton said:

Just a guess but naming a routine "Main Routine" doesn't necessarily make it the primary routine called. Check the settings for the section above (I believe 'task' - I don't have Rslogix 5000 available).

This is more then likely my problem I don't think our teacher ever showed us this situation. Thank you I'll get back to this post once We figure it out.

Plan A...Post code and screenshots

Plan B...Since the exercise was coded per instructor's instructions, and the non-working result has been combed through extensively with same non-working results, you could create a new program with one rung to energize one output (your single issue...no outputs will energize).  There could be many, many root-causes of your core issue.

1 person likes this

My first thought was that deleting the Main routine and inserting a new one may have messed something up.  I tried it on a new program (deleted the main routine and inserted another) and it still set the new routine as the main routine.  I still think this is your best bet.  You should be able to just look at it and tell.  If it does not have a little 1 marking it then it is not set properly.  I'd bet my last post that this is the problem.  See how confident I am?

2 people like this

You were correct, I had a feeling after doing all the troubleshooting we did it had to be something along those lines. 

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I'm sure my teacher doesn't like us relying on the Internet to find answers. But he himself didn't know what was going on and looked surprised when I told him how I fixed it.  

But **** in the real world working I would still use my resources and forums/Google is always the best resource

Glad you figured it out.

Your instructor shouldn't be upset about you coming here for guidance. It was actually a model post which is why so many participated. You let us know it was a school project and showed us what you had done. It's when people come here asking us to do their homework that instructors and is get upset. 

Come back anytime

1 person likes this