jdolecki

Once again C20h plc Syswin question

11 posts in this topic

I'm working on a old machine. It has a C20h controller and expansion unit.

I already have the Syswin software 3.4 . Omron tech support gave me a link.

What cable do I need to connect the laptop to a serial port? I can make one.

Can I use a USB to serial converter as serial ports are rare. 

Thanks, John

USB converters are not always reliable with the older units.  Does you PLC have the LK201 serial module attached?  I am pretty sure you will need one of those to get online with it.

Crossbow is correct. If you get an LK201 module, make sure it is the one with 'C200' in the part number. The one with 'C20' in the part number is only for the K series. Very confusing. The C20H may have a DE9 connection on it as well. If this is the case then you can communicate via this port using Host Link mode. This PLC is very old so the manual shows connection to DB25 on the computer side. I hope I got the conversion correct. The older Omron manuals also referred to the PLC as a PC (Programmable Controller). Those who are familiar with Omron equipment may notice this Host Link port uses pin 7 for ground where (dare I say) 'newer ones' use pin 9.

C20H_HostLink_Cable.jpg.f56cb0836031ffc5

Edited by IO_Rack
See Below:

Please allow my correction. If you choose to use a CPU Mounted Host Link Unit, the part number is:  3G2A6-LK201-EV1 / C120-LK201-EV1.

The one that looks identical but will NOT work is:  3G2C7-LK201-EV1 / C20-LK201-EV1.

As I said, it's confusing.

So I can plug directly into the RS_232C serial port on the PLC  to the serial port on the computer running Syswin using this cable.

Or do in need to get something else to attach to the PLC?

Thanks?

You don't need anything else.  Be sure to notice that Pin7 and Pin9 are connected together.

One problem: the default setting is Sysway protocol,9600,E,7,2.  If somebody has changed the default protocol to anything other than Sysway, you are out of luck.

Oh come on Jay.

You can always fix it with a PRO27 :-).

Didn't even want to go there...:shrug:

Im making the cable now. I understand the RX/TX wires and the ground but the CTS and RTS wires have a box around the middle of them on the  drawing. Do I need to connect them to?  And are they connected together?

You can use the built in port but you will have to build this cable.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/files/file/349-universal-cable-for-omron-9-pin-port/

Thank for all your help.

Made the cable and was able to get online

thanks for al the help

john