LURBY

Kinetix 300 not faulting

8 posts in this topic

I am connecting a Kinetix 300 servo drive to a MicroLogix 1100 over Ethernet.  The connection works fine and the drive responds as it should.  When I disconnect the Ethernet cable I should get an E14 fault and the drive should shut down.  I am not getting that fault and the drive continues to turn.  I have a comm loss signal in the PLC because of a msg error but can't stop the drive because I am not connected anymore.  I can disable the drive but as soon as I enable it again the motor starts to turn again because the motion profile is retentive.  I tried the same thing on the Powerflex 525 that is connected the same way and it immediately goes into a fault.

Why am I not getting the fault message on the Kinetix? 

In the PF525, there's a parameter that sets its behavior on comm loss.  I don't have the manual for a 3000 handy (we've only used a 6500 here), but have you searched for such a parameter in it?

I do not see anything like that for the Kinetix.  I know that the PF is full of parameters that would alter faults but I do not see those options for the Kinetix 300.  It just shows a list of faults.

I was able to get the drive to fault (by removing the encoder connector).  I wanted to check my sanity.

If I am in Ethernet drive mode I would think that it would fault if you removed the Ethernet cable....

KB ID 678941 concerns a K300 not stopping when the STO wiring is removed and that the Fault Reset selection on the General Tab must be set to Upon Disable.  Later it mentions that this also should work for a loss of comms via ethernet and thus the DriveEN bit going low in the drive from the PLC.

Edited by pcmccartney1

That KB is tech connect only so I can't read the whole thing. 

So basically I would need to set the Fault Reset to "Upon Disable" but does this mean that if the drive disables it clears the fault?

I know that there is a parameter on the PF that you need to change so that the drive does NOT go into fault of the Safe -Off is tripped. Maybe this is similar?

49 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Later it mentions that this also should work for a loss of comms via ethernet and thus the DriveEN bit going low in the drive from the PLC.

If the Ethernet cable is unplugged or damaged then there is no way for the PLC to disable the drive.  I need the drive to go into a fault condition so that it stops the motion and the retentive motion command.  That way when I enable the drive again it will be waiting for a new motion command.

Do you have a small ethernet switch or hub?  Can you go online with the drive using the Motion software?  Then unplug the cable for the PLC (form the switch/hub) and see if the DriveEN bit goes low in the drive?

I can view the motion software but as soon as I disconnect the cable I am no longer communicating with the drive so I can't see anything. 

My distributor talked to Rockwell and they seem to think that it has something to do with the "ownership" of the drive. If the ownership is one way or the other the drive will disregard the communication altogether. I am looking into it now. Rockwell is as well.