DavidB501

MicroLogix 1000 Communication Problems

2 posts in this topic

Trying to Communicate with MicroLogix 1000

I’m very new to PLCs and am having problems with a Micro Logix 1000.

I am currently trying to connect to an Allen Bradley Micro Logix 1000 In order to download the program that is currently on it. This Micro Logix has been in use since the late 90’s and as of recently has started to no longer work properly with a flashing fault LED. Also, the Output LEDs are not on at all. I’m using a windows xp operating system with RSLinx Classic Lite and a USB “programming cable” I got off of Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015YSB42K/ref=pe_385040_215884940_TE_3p_dp_i1)

I Installed the driver for this cable from this site (http://www.usb-drivers.org/ft232r-usb-uart-driver.html)

Once I have the PC connected to the Micro Logix 1000 I check the COM port through windows device manager. From this point I go to “Configure Drivers” and select RS-232 DF1. Afterwards I select Auto-Configure, which has always failed for me. Comm port is set correctly with respect to the setting in windows device manager. After Auto Configure failed I started to manually configure the driver with every possible combination of Baud Rate, Parity, and Stop Bits. I left Station Number at 0, Error Checking at CRC and Protocol at Full Duplex throughout manual and auto configuration attempts. I also tried deleting a Harmony.hrc file within the program files of the software and still no luck. Any input on how to solve my problem is greatly appreciated.  

Flashing fault LED indicates major fault.  Odd to see that for the first time with a older program.  If it is faulted then the program is not running and the outputs will be (most likely) off.  Serial programming with a USB cable can be fun.  Some just don't work.  I would suspect that since that cable is made for the PLC then it should work, but... maybe not.  I would try going into your window devices and see what comm port that device has grabbed.  That is really the only thing you have to setup manually with the auto config.  I will automatically and reliably go through all of your baud, error checking, etc settings.  The comm port does need to be correct.  You will need RSLogix500 to see the program and reset the error, but with a 1000 you should be able to get the micro lite version and do what you need to do.  There is a link to it on this site.