AngryRobot

NEC Guidebook for Controls Engineers or panel builders?

10 posts in this topic

Are there any good guide books out there that parse down the NEC to the sections relevant to controls engineering and panel building?

You would need the entire NEC because every section in it constantly references following another section.  That being said, here are some the the main sections to become familiar with:

250 (grounding), 310 (conductors), 409 (industrial control panels), 430 (motors and motor controllers), 725 (Class 1,2,& 3 circuits), & 800 (communications)

There are a bunch of good NEC guides out there.  Can't think of the names offhand.  Probably one by Mike Holt.

.............................NFPA79............

Electrical standards for industrial machinery...

UL 508A specifically covers control panels built for sale in the US.

Hi,

Does UL508A prescribe any protection circuitry for a centrifugal pump such as MPCB(Motor Protection Circuit Breaker) or Starter?

I started with the Mike Holt Essential NEC Rules.  I love the way he breaks the rules down and the illustrations have been invaluable countless times. I once had to prove to MGMT that they couldn't store things in front of a panel. Citing regulations would have been tedious, but a quick glance at the pictures and they were convinced. 

Do you guys actually own the ($95) NEC?

Dewalt seems to have reference versions on Amazon for $15~.

22 hours ago, Park.CTRL said:

Do you guys actually own the ($95) NEC?

Dewalt seems to have reference versions on Amazon for $15~.

Yes, and UL508A, NFPA-79, and others.  Why wouldn't we? 

It's just another necessary tool.  No different than owning a socket set, multi-meter, etc.

1 hour ago, dogleg43 said:

Why wouldn't we? 

Just checking. Trust me: if I didn't ask first, the SOP would be a PDF of the NEC and people would wonder why I bought a hard copy.

And it looks like the DeWalt minis are residential footnotes. So I look forward to the real book.

I have pdf versions of the NEC Handbook and NFPA 79. I like being able to search for specific terms. I have them on my tablet and phone to refer to when I'm out on the floor.