amadkey

LAN connection

5 posts in this topic

Hi all. I want to ask.

It is possible or not to use 1 pc and a LAN spliter to read 2 plc cpu in same time?

are you talking about a splitter or a switch? you would need a switch, you can read from 2 or more plcs at the same time that way.

No it's not possible to use a splitter. You will need something like in the link below. If you do a google search for "managed switch" you will be able to find something that's local to you. If you have an IT department most likely they will have one.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Communications/Industrial_Ethernet_Switches/Managed/10-z-100/SE-SW8M  

If you want a permanent installed solution, you need an industrial switch. Not necessarily a managed switch, unless you're trying to control traffic. Something like this would be adequate if the PLCs are on the same subnet and the network is small:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Communications/Industrial_Ethernet_Switches/Unmanaged/10-z-100/SE2-SW5U

If this is a temporary thing and the PLCs are close enough together, then you can use any old office switch you have lying around. I do this all the time during startups if there are more than one programmer working on a system.

Another option is to add a second Ethernet adapter to your laptop. I use a Pluggable brand USB Ethernet adapter, and have been very happy with it. Install the driver, plug it in, configure the Ethernet settings, and you can be connected to two different networks with no problem.

1 person likes this