Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
valerianlin

Omron CS1G- Cpu43

4 posts in this topic

Hello,
I am fairly new to PLCs and have little experience with them so I thought if anyone here could help it would be great. The project that I have been given involves the OMRON CS1g- CPU 43 provided by the school. Once I plug in the power supply, the ERR/ALM red indicator lights up right away without any of the other indicators other than RDY from the CPU and POWER from the power supply.

First I have tried using a third party serial to usb cable to connect from my laptop to the plc and that did not work, I got a PLC failed to connect. 
I have tried a direct serial connection from the PC to the PLC using an RS232 Dsub 9 pin female to male and have tried auto online/direct connect on an older computer with a serial port, and after auto searching for a while the error comes up which says failed to connect to the pLC. I Googled the ERR/ALM indicator and found out that it was a fatal error however am not sure which one because I can't even connect the PLC to the computer properly. I have tried at least 3 other PLCs all of which are the same model but to no avail. They all have the same problem. I should mention these models are quite old they have been sitting in the closet for god knows how long. My suspicion is that I will need to get OMRON's CS1W cable for it to work since that one has the correct drivers however it is a couple hundred bucks.

Anyways my question is does this fatal error prevent me from properly connecting to the PC? Is there a possible remedy? I'm running a bit behind schedule so I'd appreciate anyone help.

Thank You

The fatal error is probably because there is no program loaded.

Please describe the pin out that you are using to connect to the DB9 on the CS1G-CPU.  It is not a standard pin out.

Also make sure that DIP Switch 5 is to the ON position

C200HS-CN220-EU Serial Cable.pdf

Image1.jpg

BTW:  Omron Tech support is right there in Toronto.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for replying. It looks like I'll have to see what cable I'm using because it seems a standard serial cable will not work based on the omron pinout you just sent me.

Pin 5 has already been turned on I guess the problem lies with the third party cable I'm using.

Thanks for replying will update when I get back to school.