Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

IAI Scara to Logix via ethernet...

4 posts in this topic

I currently have a task at hand. I am hoping to integrate an Intelligent Actuator IX Scara --with an ethernet add-in on the X-SEL controller-- with an A-B CompactLogix L32E or L35E. IAI sent me the DVT to X-SEL program/parameters, but this is not an apples to apples example. The task: Can the X-SEL be set to a CIP Generic Ethernet device in the Logix tree? Will I have to purchase an ethernet to ASCII specialty card for the CompactLogix to communicate to the X-SEL? If anyone has any suggestions in this matter, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. On hold in Indiana -----(Home of the BasketBrawl Hall of Fame)

Scot, You said your document was five pages long. The document I have is 27 and goes into great detail on ethernet port numbers and an example program to talk ascii mode. I have attached it to this post. Hope it's different and helps. DVT_to_X_SEL_via_Ethernet.zip

The first page of that application note tells us the bad news: Since the CompactLogix supports only EtherNet/IP and none of those listed protocols, your only option is to add a card that does support one of those protocols. Prosoft makes two MVI69 modules that may be of interest; the MVI69-MNET supports Modbus/TCP protocol, and the MVI69-GEC supports generic ASCII protocol over Ethernet. I wish that A-B would add a generic Ethernet "string" instruction in Logix, but I don't see any evidence that it would be useful outside these sort of low-volume integration projects. If the "open ASCII" protocol used by the robot was simple enough, you could use a 1734-AENT POINT I/O adapter and a 1734-232ASC module to send and receive ASCII strings to and from the robot. I recently saw an application where that was done with a simple stepper motor controller and it took a couple of days to accomplish and test.

$1,495.00 = OEM price......not a realistic option. Looks like 50 pin cable or ADEPT Cobra.