Joshua Alf

HELP ERROR S55 KINETIX 6500 s55 velocity error or excess positon error

15 posts in this topic

HI  , I would like to ask you for your opinion 

THIS IS MY PROBLEM WITH THE kinetix 6500 
The equipment was working fine , but now i cant make to servo move with the program, cant run the test or autotuning 

Status in front of servo drives say running.
Everything is green, no errors, 

when I activate the MSO  I can hear a click  at servodrive, but the servo is not energized, because i dont hear the usual noise when the servo is energized, I have check the cables and conectors, everythig is fines, I check the servo resistence , no shortcuts or open lines, The wierd part is when the servos are in the running state i can move by hand, they are supossed to be locked.

after that I activate the home MAH, or test or autotuning , or a direct command ,and then it  fails  When i try to jog . move, test or  autotuning  the servo it says s55 velocity error or excess positon error, i can not get servo to move at all

I can see the position from the encoder back to the plc. I have turned the servo and i see the position at actualposition

Before the equipment was working , moving , I just swith it off one day, and the next day I couldnt make it move

Best regards 

I have added the programm as an attachment

k6500.ACD

Sounds like you have a problem with the encoder. The drive thinks everything is ok until it tries to command a move, then is doesn't see the encoder feedback changing. Check the connections, then with the servo off, turn the shaft by hand. You should see the actual position tag changing.

Hi  JRoss

This is part of what I have check

I did,  and i can see the encoder readigs at actualposiotion tag changing  , The servo was moving  before, responding to autotuning, test, MAH, MAJ , MAM  instructions and direct comands, I have check  lines with encoder and power lines  and readings, and they look normal. All lights are green,  the bus  led is green and steady, 

When the servo is activated with MSO  instruction, the servo is loose, I can turn it by hand, no alarms.  but when I try to move it with MAH or MAJ , for example  , then the S55 appears,  

I have also check the inputs  L1  L2  L3  with the bus +  and bus-   and i have normal readings,    also  U V W  with bus + and bus -  and also normal readings,  with my muitimeter to check diode at rectification and BJTs  .   And when the kinetix is on  I get around  640 volts DC ant BUS + and Bus -

I was thinking that it could be the BJTs that are not fireing signal to the servo and the error might be because  the dirves tries to move the servo, and it doesnt move , sp there is a difference and gives the s55 error.

I have check the BJT  installed, with multimeter, the block of BJT  give normal readings UVW  with Bus+ and Bus - , I dond see shorts  just the normal readings of diodes, 

Best Regards

12 hours ago, JRoss said:

Sounds like you have a problem with the encoder. The drive thinks everything is ok until it tries to command a move, then is doesn't see the encoder feedback changing. Check the connections, then with the servo off, turn the shaft by hand. You should see the actual position tag changing.

Hi  JRoss

This is part of what I have check

I did,  and i can see the encoder readigs at actualposiotion tag changing  , The servo was moving  before, responding to autotuning, test, MAH, MAJ , MAM  instructions and direct comands, I have check  lines with encoder and power lines  and readings, and they look normal. All lights are green,  the bus  led is green and steady, 

When the servo is activated with MSO  instruction, the servo is loose, I can turn it by hand, no alarms.  but when I try to move it with MAH or MAJ , for example  , then the S55 appears,  

I have also check the inputs  L1  L2  L3  with the bus +  and bus-   and i have normal readings,    also  U V W  with bus + and bus -  and also normal readings,  with my muitimeter to check diode at rectification and BJTs  .   And when the kinetix is on  I get around  640 volts DC ant BUS + and Bus -

I was thinking that it could be the BJTs that are not fireing signal to the servo and the error might be because  the dirves tries to move the servo, and it doesnt move , sp there is a difference and gives the s55 error.

I have check the BJT  installed, with multimeter, the block of BJT  give normal readings UVW  with Bus+ and Bus - , I dond see shorts  just the normal readings of diodes, 

Best Regards

When you are turning the servo by hand does the position change correctly? In both directions? When you use MSO to turn the servo on and can turn it by hand, does it fault out?

1 hour ago, JRoss said:

When you are turning the servo by hand does the position change correctly? In both directions? When you use MSO to turn the servo on and can turn it by hand, does it fault out?

Yes, I have turned it  in both directions,  the lecture or readings of encoder  at actualposition tag  increases and decreases the revolutions normally

Yes , when the MSO is on, I can turn the servo by hand,  but no more than 1 rev , after  or around 1 revolution the fault appears s55,  

I can move it back and forth , but no more than 1 rev, after that it fails and shows s55  velocity error, it doest fell hard 

I have check the power rail  terminals,  the Dc volts lines in power rail takes DC to the output side of the kinetix 6500,  I was thinking  that there may not be DC 640 volt , but there it is in power rail

Best Regards

Is this a new install or an exisiting system?

What is the full part number of your servo motor you have connected to the K6500?

Are you using the hardwired enable input on the drive?

OK, try this...

The control module on the drive is removable. Loosen the screw and rock the module in and out of the connection 5 or 6 times. This will clean up the connections between the control module and the power module. This is a known issue with the 6500 that I have dealt with personally on two occasions. Different symptoms both times, but weird stuff that didn't make sense.

If that doesn't work, next step is to start swapping out parts, including the cables.

Kinetix 6500, Fault S55 => (a) Improperly sized drive or motor, (b) Mechanical system out of specification.  The servo controller is telling you that when it tries to move the load to the commands you have given it (i.e., position, velocity, acceleration, etc.), that it detects this cannot be achieved properly.

Have you modeled the load in Motion Works, to verify that the mechanical engineers properly sized the motor and gearbox and servo controller?

A-B/Rockwell servos often typically tune "hot".  What allows you to tune and jog the servo without issue may be covering up the inability to command to position.  

19 hours ago, Donovanr said:

Is this a new install or an exisiting system?

What is the full part number of your servo motor you have connected to the K6500?

Are you using the hardwired enable input on the drive?

Is an existing system

MPL-B1530U-EJ72AA

Yes Im using 2 signals from connector DB 44   the  the input for enable  and the input for home sensor

Best Regards

19 hours ago, JRoss said:

OK, try this...

The control module on the drive is removable. Loosen the screw and rock the module in and out of the connection 5 or 6 times. This will clean up the connections between the control module and the power module. This is a known issue with the 6500 that I have dealt with personally on two occasions. Different symptoms both times, but weird stuff that didn't make sense.

If that doesn't work, next step is to start swapping out parts, including the cables.

Ok I did,

and also cleaned the conectors, they look shiny like new, 

I ran a test but no changes  , still fails

I have another servomotor with cables , Ill change them and Ill let you now  

Best Regards

8 hours ago, kaiser_will said:

Kinetix 6500, Fault S55 => (a) Improperly sized drive or motor, (b) Mechanical system out of specification.  The servo controller is telling you that when it tries to move the load to the commands you have given it (i.e., position, velocity, acceleration, etc.), that it detects this cannot be achieved properly.

Have you modeled the load in Motion Works, to verify that the mechanical engineers properly sized the motor and gearbox and servo controller?

A-B/Rockwell servos often typically tune "hot".  What allows you to tune and jog the servo without issue may be covering up the inability to command to position.  

The servo in not moving something heavy,  is very light the load

You can feell  that the servomotor shaft    is even  harder to turn than the load ,   the load is very very soft

The servomotor is an MPL-B1530u-EJ72aa

The servo drive is a 6 kw  and in the manual Design User,  it says that is OK to use this servo with this servodrive, is in the list of useable motors

Right now the servo is not connected to the load, and Is displaying S55 any way,  I have tried to do Home to sensor, , MAJ  , MAM, Direct commands , with out being connected the servo to the load

23 hours ago, JRoss said:

OK, try this...

Hi JRoss

I have another  2094 BMP5 but this one is  with sercos in another machine,   I have taken the servomotor  and cables and plug it with this equipment in sercos

And the servo gets really hard to move the  servomotor shaft  by hand , I just tried a little bit to move it, when the MSO  is activated from direct command instructions. Im using the same servomotor with the same cables  at the s kinetix 6500 .  Is responding  very nice to MAH  and MAJ, with sercos servodrive

So I think it may be the IBJT s that are not fireing the signal to the servo, but I have check the U V W vs   Bus+   Bus-  ,  las time Ive check and the reading of diode were fine, no shortcuts

U   V W    vs      BUS -     READINGS     diode

0.448        U - BUS+                OL    WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

0.448        V - BUS+                OL    WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

0.448       W - BUS+                 OL   WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

U V W      vs       BUS +    READINGS  diode

0.448        U - BUS+                OL    WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

0.448        V - BUS+                OL    WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

0.448       W - BUS+                 OL   WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

I have also check the readings of the IBJT s at kinetix 6000 sercos and the same readings of UVW vs BUS +  and BUS-

Best Regards

U   V W    vs      BUS -     READINGS     diode

0.448        U - BUS-                OL    WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

0.448        V - BUS-                OL    WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

0.448       W - BUS-                 OL   WHEN INVERTED LEADS or wires AT MULTIMETER

U V W      vs       BUS +    READINGS  diode

The alarm you are getting means the encoder feedback doesn't match the drive command to the motor. I usually see this when there is a problem with the encoder (damage, wiring, polarity). But it sounds like you have a problem with the motor side of the drive, not the encoder.

Since you tested the motor and cables with another drive, then there is something wrong with the 6500, either in the control module or the power module. You'll have to contact your distributor.