JonasBlake

Communicating with CompactLogix L32E

14 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble communicating with a CompactLogix L32E processor. There are a pair of photoeyes that are not functioning, and I believe they may be forced on in the program, but I can't get online with the PLC to check. My ABB vendor said I was using the wrong version of RSLogix 5000 at first, but now I have tried connecting with versions 14, 19, 21, and 24. I think the version I will actually need to use is 19. However, I can't even get the PLC to communicate using RSLinx. I am using RSLinx Lite, which might be the problem. I have tried connecting via ethernet over the local switch in the machine, via ethernet directly to the PLC, and via RS-232 directly with the PLC. 

I've attached some screenshots...I would really appreciate any help or advice!

Capture10.PNG.fad22d6e14f8dc7305bd73cebaCapture11.thumb.PNG.f2cfd4d450c6a12ece5fCapture.PNG.551bc86ed9080e77b1e80235858dCapture13.PNG.ba8164d509e5d46ea872b23ead

Capture12.PNG

Looks like a lot of different issues you are having.  First it looks like the processor is version 17.  Second it looks like RSLinx is connected via ethernet I/P to the processor (RSLinx lite is fine) but you are trying to connect RS232 by taking a path through the Ethernet I/P link.  I think if you went two items up to the "00 Compactlogix processor" item you would be able to connect via Ethernet I/P, but you would still have a versioning problem if 17 is not loaded.  If you want to connect via RS232, then you would need to follow the AB_DF1 pathing to your processor. 

Second issue first: I did try to connect via Ethernet I/P and RS232 separately, with the other disconnected. I just connected them both for the screenshot. In both cases, the "00, CompactLogix Processor" is non-responsive. In the I/P connection, it shows an "X" as you see; in the DF1 connection it just doesn't respond - as shown in the image below. 

I do know that the processor is version 17, but I am hoping I will be able to download the program using version 19... I can't seem to get version 17 to install on my Windows 7 laptop. But since I can't even get a status on the PLC in RSLinx, I'm thinking there is a communication issue outside of what versions of RSLogix I have. I'm hoping that if I can get it to talk in Linx, then I can troubleshoot the version issue.

Thoughts?

Capture9.PNG.13bea834e0fa0c4939f25f50086

I dont see an "X" where it matters.  You have your cursor on the DF1 path that I was referring to and you should be able to connect through that path.  The "X" that you refer to is via the Ethernet I/P path and is not a valid path for you to connect to that processor via DF1 (RS232).  You will need to do an firmware upgrade to the processor before you can download a rev 19 version of the project. 

Remember, updating the firmware will completely wipe out everything in the processor.  I would STRONGLY suggest you get the right version of the software on your PC and get connected to the PLC before doing anything, so you can make absolutely sure you have the right program file.  Once you do that, AND if you can shut down the machine completely for a few minutes, you can look at updating the firmware if you want.

Excellent point Joe!  You did mention downloading over the existing application anyway but if this is a working system, it is always best to upload and have the latest revision saved.  You may think you have the latest revision, but good practice is to make sure.  If this is a new PLC and you just want to dump your program into it and dont care about the existing program then a firmware change is ok.  Your local rep or a local integrator can help you upload the existing program if you cant get it on your PC.  Also they might be helpful for your first firmware upgrade. 

And they may be able/willing to help you get the right version of the software if you don't have TechConnect.

In JonasBlake's last pic, in the right hand window shows that the PLC has no Online Name.  When this occurs, typically there is no existing program.  Either way, if no "Upload" or backup of this "existing" program is needed and just a download, upon an attempt at download, Logix5000 will have a dialog that indicates the device name, program, firmware level, as well as, those of the offline program. 

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I will attempt to get a copy of version 17.004 installed on my computer...perhaps I can make a virtual XP machine, or possibly find an actual XP machine somewhere.

pcmccartney7 - The machine is actually running, so there has to be something installed. But the fact that it has no Online Name in Linx is exactly why I thought the connection was not working. And I will need to get a copy of the existing program off of the PLC - I do not have an existing backup.

I will try again to connect over RS-232. Perhaps that is the issue.

Edited by JonasBlake

Versions back to 13 will install and run on Windows 7 64-bit.  I would still use a VM, but it's fine to use Win7.

Can your PC ping the PLC?  If not, RSLinx will not work.  For the DF1 driver to work, make sure you have the correct COM port selected and try an auto-configure.  Then try adding a null modem adapter to your cable.

Also, try the Ethernet Devices driver instead of Ethernet/IP.  You'll have to manually enter the IP address.  After a couple of corporate network/security upgrades ago, the Ethernet/IP driver doesn't find stuff, even if we're directly connected to it.

I must be missing something.  Is the processor you are trying to connect to not connected via DF1 and Ethernet I/P?  named MonoFloBoxSnap... IP address 192.168.2.10

Edited by PLCMentor.com

I am trying to connect to the MonoFloBoxSnap PLC, IP address 192.168.2.10. I connected via DF1 and Ethernet I/P. I can see everything else connected to the network, but when I try to do anything with the actual processor, "00, CompactLogix Processor", I can't. 

Understand RSlinx and what it is telling you:  you have (2) communication drivers setup in RSlinx (left pane) - DF1 (Rockwell's serial-like RS-232) and Ethernet; under each communication driver you searched and RSlinx stored all devices it can "see"; for your Ethernet connection, how you are going to connect to this PLC processor, RSLinx sees the CompactLogix processor with its internal Channel 00 DF1 port and its Channel 01 Ethernet port.

If you want to connect to this processor through Ethernet, you want to select Channel 01 under the CompactLogix rack...the Ethernet port

kaiser_will, thanks so much, that makes complete sense. It really is obvious when you look at it like that. I'll try to connect through the 01 channel, and see how that goes. 

I won't be able to get back to the plant until next week, but I'll report back on what I find. 

Thanks all, for the help!!

1 person likes this