Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arturo_papito

Comunicacion RSLINX gateway in remote server and Visual basic

2 posts in this topic

My intention is create a visual basic program with access (or excel), if possible with a Cold link (so I wake up when I need data only). See if you can orientate me about the best way and solve my doubts. I am pretty new to all this.

I have several Allan-bradley plc’s in the Ethernet network. Several PC’s with windows 8 and excel/acces in the latests versions

I have a server in the net where I have installed RSLINX gateway version. I have created a topic and I can see the PLC variables in there OK.

In rslinx  commnications -> I have set the click “enable rslinx classic gateway”

I have run the OPC test client and it works OK according to some test Ihave found in google 8so OPC/DDE server is active etc)

I want to retrieve Data in My PC from the rslinx that is in that server called BCNA08. I have colleagues that know how to run the EDIT ->copyDDE/OPC link and create a HOT LINK in excel in the same computer for other versions of rslinx (lite I believe) that they had for tests purposes.

So I try the same but of course it does not work for a PC that is nor running RSlinx. My Rslinx is in BCNA08.

How can I set a hot link (excel continuos update) and cold link (visual basic open/close communication).

Any help or suggestions will be welcomed. Any good link to learn more too.

You will need to do an OPC connection to the gateway. Remote DDE connections (NetDDE) are no longer supported by Microsoft. To do OPC DA or UA from Excell or access you are going to need and add-in for Excel. Try OPC Labs.com this is not free like DDE is though. I believe that Matrikon also has a solution as well.