Hanyhafez

Adding an extra remote HMI to an existing Q02U PLC

12 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I have a Mitsubishi Q02U PLC connected through its serial port to a GS2107 hmi located on the same control panel. I need to add an additional GS2107 exactly the same as the first one at a distance of 80 meters from the control panel. How can I communicate with this new HMI ? Is there a special module to add to my configuration? I really dont know? Please advice.

Thanks

The PLC is connected to the RS232 port on the first GS2107. Connect a cable between the first and second GS2107 using the RS422 ports. The second GS2017 can have the identical program in it to start, though you may find that you want them to be a little different for screen navigation or security, etc.

Thanks JRoss. Its surprising for me how simple it can be done !! GREAT. Assuming that the two HMI screens will be identical, is there any settings to be done in the program of the PLC ( GX developer) or the GS2107 (GT designer) Or is it just a plug and play through the RS422 port? And what if  some changes will be done to the 2nd HMI (example security, ..) will it still be a plug and play as long as it is connected to RS422 port? 

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your help. 

1 person likes this

Not sure with Mitsubishi but with the ab's I cut my teeth on there is a setting to include so that the HMI's  mimic each other. In other words if the button is activated on HMI 1 it also shows activated on HMI 2, saves on confusion. Just teaching myself the Mitsubishi components so not real sure of the need for this.

I have used this setup with the FX PLC. Only difference was the PLC uses RS422 and the connection between the HMIs was RS232. You'll be doing the reverse. Nothing had to be changed on the PLC, and the HMI projects could be identical. However, the final HMI projects were different because of needing separate security, navigation, etc.

1 person likes this

Hi JRoss, I just receive the new GS2107 and I will connect it to the 1st GS2107 via RS422 port. I am just not sure how to make the cable. I attached the cable connection which I am willing to use. I will appreciate if you can check and give me your kind feedback.

Thanks

RS422 cable Connection.png

No, that's not correct. Register on Mitsubishi's website and search for the GOT2000 Series Connection Manual (Mitsubishi Products). You have to be logged in to see it. The manual number is SHNA081217.

Look at section 19.2.1, which is your setup, with RS232 between the PLC and GOT1, and RS422 between GOT1 and GOT2.

Then look at section 19.3.2, which has the connection diagram you need.

1 person likes this

Thanks JRoss. I can see that section 19.2.1 did not include the type of HMI I described . My HMI is GS21 not GT21 yet I think it will work but I can't decide which of the connection diagrams on page 19.3.2 is the one to go for. I will try both and see. I can see also that the maximum distance is 30m and this will not be suitable for me because (as I initially described in my inquiry) I have 80m distance between both HMIs.  Is there a way to extend the length?

This may be of interest (if you do not already have it)

Attached is a download link of a very comprehensive listing all of cables (and pinouts) used throughout the Mitsubishi range - connecting everything to everything.

Kudos to the guy who made it – it must have took days.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpteo8430v78pjm/AACwDPFxZaAg9LXUQMxhxN9Ba?dl=0

1 person likes this

Maybe we aren't looking at the same manual? I just downloaded it from Mitsubishi, and the chart in 19.2.1 specifically shows the GOT as being a GS model. Both the GS and GT series are referred to as part of the GOT lineup.

Section 19.3.2 only has one connection diagram. There is a second diagram on the page, but it's in section 19.3.1, and is for RS-232.

I hadn't noticed the length limit. The RS-422 base protocol is capable of much longer distances, and I don't know why they would require you to stay below 30m. Probably the signal degrades. You may be alright, but only if you make sure you have high-quality, properly shielded cable, follow the notes about termination resistors, and if necessary reduce the transmission speed of the signal. You'll definitely want to test this before you install that much cable.

Also, I was incorrect about the communication settings. You do have to set up the communications in a particular way on each HMI, detail in section 19.4.

If you are concerned, you can switch to Ethernet. This will require extra hardware, of course. You'll need to upgrade to an Ethernet processor or add an Ethernet card to the PLC, and add an Ethernet switch to the main panel.

Hello ,

Good News, the system worked fine.

Let me share my experience. The cable worked fine with me up to 60 m. I did not try a longer distance so maybe it will work for longer distances. Yes, ofcourse each screen has its own setting. An additional setting in the first screen should be adjusted to communicate with "Host PC" through its RS422 port (see pic1) in addition ofcourse to its communication ith the PLC through RS232. The second screen is simply adjusted to communicate with the PLC itself (see pic2).

However concerning your suggestion to communicate via ethernet , I am not sure if this will work because I stronlgy believe that the GS2107 ethernet port cannot be used for PLC communication, I suppose that it can be used for programming the HMI only . What supports my claim is the fact that you will not find ethernet as an option of communication with the controller ( see pic3)

I want to thank you JRoss for your support, without your support I wouldn't have made it, I appreciate it.

Thanks

Hany

pic1.png

pic2.png

pic3.png

Glad to hear it.

You have a Q, not a QnA processor. If you change the controller type to the MELSEC-Q, then you can choose Ethernet.