Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jake104

FTview 7.0 - how to monitor value of PLC tags

4 posts in this topic

I have just started working with FTview, so I'm trying to get a feel of the development environment.

My first question is:

How can I see the value of the tags in my PLC?

I'm connected to a running PLC and I can create a numeric display on my Display - but I would like a general way of verifying the tag values. I'm used to WinCC and iFix - and here I can open a "tag database" and see all the tag values.

What A-B PLC are you using?  SLC-500 and Micrologix PLCs are data file-based (i.e., B3, N7) whereas ControlLogix and CompactLogix PLCs are tag-based.

The answer to your question is a function of what tags were used in the FTView HMI application.  With a tag-based PLC, one can have a Task tag nested within a task or a Controller tag at the top controller-level.

If you are using Logix/Studio5000, open your PLC program and select CONTROLLER at the top of the left-pane.  The MONITOR TAGS tab at the bottom of the center-pane will list all Controller (i.e., Global) tags and their current value.  One can create a custom watch list in the left pane with all pertinent tags so as to keep an eye on their values.  By drilling through the different tasks, you can see all of the local tags.

I'm using a ControlLogix L75. All communication is tag-based.

I don't have RSlogix (so I can't open the PLC program).

I was hoping to have a Tag-monitoring Facility in RSview where I could just see all tags - a I have in WinCC or iFix.

Consider creating a maintenance screen that has a table of tags and values, whatever datapoints that add value to you doing your job.  You can host the FTView application running on your development PC for a short period of time (2 hrs).  This is a great tool for testing and debugging before you download the application.