Cailong Bao

Write TEXT in SLC 500 and display in HMI

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I am trying to interface SLC 500 and HMI with text.  Can anybody help me how to program in RSLogix 500 with text?

My problem is :

When switch 1 is on, PLC will write a text or move a predefined text "IN PROCESS" to a file N15.

When switch 1 is off, PLC will write a text or move a predefined text "IDLE" to a file N15.

When switch 1 is on and output relay 1 is on, PLC will write a text or move a predefined text "DONE" to a file N15.

Then, I like to display the text  in a status box on a HMI at real time.  During the process, the text should be changed based

on the status automatically.  Is it possible?  If it is possible, can anybody give me some kind of examples? 

Thank you for your help.

N15 would be a file which can hold many integers, not text. A typical reference would be N15:0.

A String (ST) file could hold text. The COPy command can copy multiple predefined strings (ST) into a single location for viewing by the HMI.

But, depending on the HMI (please state which type) it might be easier to just move a unique number into the selected N15 location. The HMI could read this unique number and use it to select text pre-defined in the HMI program.

The answer by b_carlton should be sufficient to get you going in the proper direction.

As alternative, you might also consider looking into the AdvancedHMI project's website, where bunch of stuff comes for free, the software is highly functional and provides almost limitless possibilities. Learning would be a great benefit coming from getting to know this HMI software package.

Some VisualBasic or C# coding might be required for certain features but it doesn't take a programmer to create a basic HMI screen.

Since this is a computer based HMI, it would allow you to actually use the code to perform processing based on the current state of outputs or switches.

It wouldn't necessarily require storing any of the text or integer numbers on the PLC itself.

There is another post in this forum that shows AdvancedHMI: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/30516-deploying-an-advancedhmi-project/

Thank you, b_carlton and Godra. You are very helpful.  I tried it and it works.  I am going to use Kinco HMI MT4532TE.  Now, I have to figure out

how to display the string on that HMI.