aakash

magnetic encoder

10 posts in this topic

hi

Happy New Year to all

i want help with  magnetic encoder earlier we were using Atek magnetic linear  encoder with connected to X0 and1 terminals , the encoder output was TTL /push pull line driver,now we are changing it with new Balluff encoder BTL5-S172-B-M0100-P-S32 , OUTPUT signal= synchronous serial and output= code gray.I need help with wiring and regarding program can i use the same HSC (c251).

pin configuration of A tek encoder                               pin configuraation of balluff encoder

1    A                                                                                1    +CLK

2   /B                                                                                2    -CLK                                                                    

3   POWER                                                                      3    +DATA

4    0V                                                                              4    -DATA

5    /A                                                                              5     GND

6    B                                                                                6     24V

7   /Z                                                                                7     NO USE

8    Z

9     GND

THE ATEK ENCODER  WIRE 1 AND 6 IS USED.

REGARDS

AAKASH               

The new Balluff encoder differs a bit from your old one.

It has a serial interface (SSI) with Gray coded data.

What PLC are you using ?

Edited by Bryll

As @Bryllstates the interfaces are completely different. Why did you choose to switch to a serial/Gray coded interface when you already have a program for TTL/Push-pull? I would suggest that you purchase an encoder with better resolution, with TTL/Push-pull instead of using (probably more money) on developing new code in the PLC.

thanks actually i was having balluff magnetic encoder with me, i am not aware that it requires different programming ,cant it be programmed using same HSC.

regards

aakash

No, it can't

The Atek uses a "pulse train" you don't have to ask for, it appears on your PLC inputs as soon as the ecoder start to rotate.

The Balluff uses a serial communication interface that you have to poll for information from the PLC, if possible.

It might be tricky to use the Balluff with a PLC since you most likely have to supply the clock pulses for the communication.

That will for sure give you a very bad resolution since it has to be software implemented.

The suggestion to buy another encoder with the same interface as the Atek @kaare_t mentioned is the best you can do.

thank you  @Bryll n @kaare sir. i would use the Atek . is there any possibility that i can  see how ballufff are used just for seeing its application

Question

is that we can program all the  output push pull/ttl using HSC (maybe linear encoders ,rotary incremental or absolute encoder)

Edited by aakash

This PDF might give you a hint how it works

thanks i wana know to give clk signal is that possible we can input through timers. and use the HSC MODULE maybe the same inbuilt hsc

That is most likely not possible, since the SSI communication will "time out" if the duty cycle of the CLK pulse train is more than 25 micro seconds.

Don't know how you should be able to implement this type of communication.

You might find a protocol converter that can be used if you search the web.