lamboom

Basic Digital I/O on the NJ's Ethernet/IP network?

7 posts in this topic

Does the basic NJ I/O unit CJ1W-MD232 work only on the EtherCAT network of the NJ.. or can it be programed to function on the NJ’s Ethernet/IP network?

I’m thinking it can’t .. and I’ll have to use the EtherNet/IP Coupler: NX-EIC202 ?

Thanks, Regards, Michael

Edited by lamboom
make the question simpler...

That is a bus I/O card and nothing to do with Ethernet I/P - I sometimes use these with the CJ2M but normally just digital input and output cards like CJ1W-ID261/231/211. Have not used an NJ at all - prefer CX-P to be honest - I program by I/O numbers, shortcuts and not symbols. Like to know where things are as well. Will have another look at Studio when I have time.

Thanks BobB... that was quick!    You even replied to me in PLCs.net :-)     Ya know.. It's presented as a "Basic" I/O module for NJ...  The NJ works with two networks, Ethernet/IP and EtherCAT ... They don't say that the module only works for the EtherCAT network ... so, how would I know?   True, I am somewhat of a Nube .. but, I've worked with Siemens, Red Lion, LinMot, Delta Motion, Tolamatic & IAI equipment..  but, that doesn't mean I know what I'm doing...  When I succeed, It's generally because of great manuals, and company support... and this or other forums..  

I just assumed the Ethernet/IP port on the NJ was fully functional .. Sure, it won't have all the support (function blocks etc.) that's available on the EtherCAT Port... but, it ought to be possible to do just about anything Ethernet/IP on that port..    So, I've a nice I/O module connected to the NJ.. and it only works for EtherCAT (If that's what I'm hearing)   and... I assume... If I want I/O on the NJ's Ethernet/IP network, I will have to use the Coupler NX-EIC202, with perhaps a NX-MD6256-5 (16x16 mixed) and a End Cover:NX-END01 (If it doesn't come with the coupler)  Also, the NX-EIC202 is listed in the Network Configurator .. and the CJ1W-MD isn't listed.       

Is all this correct?

Thanks much... expiring minds need to know.

The Ethernet I/P port if the NJ has one will be fully functional. The CJ card is direct connect and cannot be used as remote I/O. There is another module that will connect to the coupler as you noted above. The end plate comes with the coupler. Perhaps you could also look at EtherCat as it is native. Which processor are you looking at?

BobB - We can't go on meeting like this!  

The NJ definitely has an Ethernet/IP port .. real cool.. but, not with all the bells and whistles as the EtherCAT port  ... With the NJ.. you use both ports .. but generally you don't use the Ethernet/IP port for Motion Control  ... But, you can if you want to do the work... :-)

Then go EtherCat - just a different coupler.