Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary Notgrass

Connecting FactoryTalk VS to Emulated PLC

3 posts in this topic

I have a FT View Studio HMI on a virtual machine and an emulated PLC file running on my local machine.

Is there a way to connect the HMI to the emulated PLC?

I've searched everywhere.

The VirtualMachine and Local Machine (i.e., host) are on the same PC?  What are you using for your VirtualMachine software?  You can bridge the VirtualMachine to the host, similar to sharing a network drive between PCs.  Once the VirtualMachine has communication access to the host's files, FTView in the VirtualMachine should have RSLinx configured to communicate with the host PLC emulator.

With the RSLogix emulators this is difficult, because they don't emulate Ethernet comms to outside devices.

The only way I know of to do this is to set up RSLinx Classic on the host PC as an OPC Server, and configure FactoryTalk View Studio to communicate with RSLinx Classic's OPC Topic instead of the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut.    You need to add RSLinx Classic to your FactoryTalk project to get it available as a server.

Because the programs are on different computers, you need RSLinx Classic to be a "Remote OPC Server", which I think requires the "Gateway" license.   If you have the RA Toolkit, then your RSLinx OPC should activate as Gateway and make this feature available.