lamboom

Firmware update killed my NA HMI

21 posts in this topic

Trying to log into NA HMI, NA5-7U001B  Direct, using USB or Ethernet.  All attempts failed .. tho, it was easy to log into the NJ Controller, direct, with USB or Ethernet using the same PC.

Then a window popped up.. saying the firmware needed updating in the HMI, and suggested launching the "update" from the same window... Then, after a few minutes.  a "update failed" was displayed on the window.. and the HMI screen changed to this:

5854ac3d4bde7_OmronkillsHMI.thumb.jpg.c9

..and the green LED went RED ... aaaaagh!   HMI no longer works... any idea why this happened, or the failure to log in happened.. or, what it will take to fix it?

Please tell me it was something Omron did ....

Thanks Much, Regards, ,Michael

PS:  additional info..  I was using Sysmac Studio Version 1.1 .. because I could log in to the CPU (USB and Ethernet) and not the HMI.. I changed to another PC with Sysmac Studio Version 1.17 .. Now I was only able to log into the CPU with Ethernet.. USB login failed. .. and, so did any attempt to log in to the HMI (USB or Ethernet)

It looks like if you use a new version of Sysmac.. better not have a device with  "old firmware" ..  I think it was the V1.17 that presented the window suggesting the Firmware Update ...  sigh!

Edited by lamboom

Hiya.  

So you had major comms malfunction with this unit, and then decided to do firmware update over comms??

Yes the latest Sysmac Studio includes all the latest NA OS and firmware updates and helps you update automatically. I've done this 100s of times and never had a failure. 

I guess you can't connect at all now and re-perform any firmware update. To solve I expect you have to do what is says on the screen, and call the Omron Support team.  If you have s field engineer then they should be able to restore it from USB stick onsite, or arrange to have it returned to their Repair centre. 

Regards

BB

Hi Berti

Thanks for the reply... It does sound like a rather bad choice doesn't it ... :-)    But, it's quite normal for the Sysmac Studio to notice a version mismatch between the device and the Sysmac expectation ...   I've seen that before.. yet, am very new to Omron.  I assumed it connected, yet there was a "version" incompatibility .. how else would you fix it, if not click the upgrade button.. there was every indication that the new Sysmac V1.17, knew what it was doing.

Previously, Sysmac couldn't connect to the HMI via USB.. and the reason was failure to install the USB driver.  I noticed that by looking at the PC's Device Manager.  But, couldn't fix that because I had no idea where the USB drivers were located in the Omron files. (assuming they are) ...  The next option was "Direct connect via Ethernet".. that's where the window popped up suggesting a version fix.. and offering to "Fix it"   ...  well. it didn't ... sigh!  

There is a documented procedure in the manuals to do a factory restore of the HMI.  And it does make use of an SD card or USB drive.  Recommend trying that.

The HMI firmware is part of Sysmac Studio, and will be upgraded at each version of Sysmac Studio to add new features.  While you can make a project and tell it to use an older version, it works fine doing this, it makes sense to switch your project to the latest OS to get the new features.  Sysmac Studio will always ask to set the firmware in the terminal to the firmware version you choose in your HMI project.

WOW!  Crossbow .. I searched the manuals..DUH... Even looked for keywords like "restore" ..  I'm such a nube... sorry to bother the Forum, when the solution is in the manuals...Thanks much for your tolerance.  AND help.

Found the info .. all looks good.. but I don't understand how to do step 2 (the actual steps necessary):585819faefdce_AdobeReaderScreenSnapz006.

The rest looks easy.. but.. step 2 is not intuitively obvious ... :-)

Edited by lamboom
1 person likes this

On the DVD for your Sysmac Studio, the OS is provided as a compressed file.  You need to execute that file and it will extract to a series of files.

By the way.. I really mean "I'm such a nube"  .. when info is plainly in the manuals, I should find it .. and I felt bad asking the Forum about info I should have found. I do appreciate your Tolerance for kindly answering questions that are sometimes obvious if the questioner does a little research.    Your help is much appreciated ... if that isn't a cat in your picture .. what is it?

;)  It's the 'guy' from the Disturbed album cover for Indestructible.

Been meaning to change it to my helmet, just keep forgetting...

By the way .. here is A URL to the file that you need For NA5 HMI System Restore  ... to extract to a USB or SD Card:    

https://omca.box.com/s/usbonjwwfoysygb3zp9y81yvxcvs34v0

You get two files on the USB drive:  5859c18a34649_extraction_0011.jpg.d7fbab

Unfortunately, this hasn't solved the restore problem yet.. HMI didn't read the USB Stick, when powered on ... USB stick was formatted to FAT32 and blank before the extraction from  Zip file on the link.   Those files really look like what you would need to restore the NA5...   sigh!

Have contacted Omron Support.

Edited by lamboom
1 person likes this

Did you set the dip switches properly?

I have done this more than once to upgrade hardware here.

Hi Crossbow.. That's a very good question... Because the setting of the far right switch to ON .. is nearly impossible, due to it's infinitesimal size (Omron outta get a prize for using a switch assembly so small it can't be seen without a microscope ... :-)    I know the switches were correct... because when you do not have a USB connected, and you power on the HMI .. you get this:DSC01347.jpg.d8e6e75d86de46eb2cbeaf185cc

so.. the next step is to turn it off, plug in a properly formatted USB stick, or SD card, with the restore software... and turn it back on.. and everything goes as expected.

The HMI is fully restored.. to factory settings.  now all ya have to do is turn it off... somehow get that far right DIP switch back to OFF.. and you now have a fully functional HMI.

Which I now have... Thank You very much!

1 person likes this

Have the same problem with the Omron HMI NA5-12W101S-V1. Can anyone share an image to restore the factory firmware?

Hi...  The good news is, it can be restored... unfortunately, when I had that problem, it was 5 years ago.. so naturally I've forgotten everything I ever learned back then...  sorry... But, you might open a new thread.. or directly contact the people who helped me back then .. I couldn't have done it without them!   Good Luck, Regards, Michael

The recovery files should be available on your Sysmac Studio DVD (or ISO image).

1 person likes this

Hi Crossbow .. so happy you survived the pandemic .. so far ... going to be with us for a few more years... sniff!

On 19/12/2016 at 11:46 PM, lamboom said:

By the way .. here is A URL to the file that you need For NA5 HMI System Restore  ... to extract to a USB or SD Card:    

https://omca.box.com/s/usbonjwwfoysygb3zp9y81yvxcvs34v0

You get two files on the USB drive:  5859c18a34649_extraction_0011.jpg.d7fbab

Unfortunately, this hasn't solved the restore problem yet.. HMI didn't read the USB Stick, when powered on ... USB stick was formatted to FAT32 and blank before the extraction from  Zip file on the link.   Those files really look like what you would need to restore the NA5...   sigh!

Have contacted Omron Support.

hello sir 

do you still have the file for the Operating system restore ?

thanks 

Open the installation media (usually an ISO file) and go to:

Sysmac_Studio_installation_media\Util-
ity\NA_RecoverUpdate\NA_RecoverUpdate___.exe

1 hour ago, photovoltaic said:

Thank you so much :)

i have never done this . im in sales but got 4 of the NA5 and 3 of them  doesnt boot up 

so  will give it a shot .

download the two files into a formated UBS 

do the switches on the NA and thats it ?

thank you 

43 minutes ago, Learning said:

Thank you so much :)

i have never done this . im in sales but got 4 of the NA5 and 3 of them  doesnt boot up 

so  will give it a shot .

download the two files into a formated UBS 

do the switches on the NA and thats it ?

thank you 

There's a saying around here - RTFM.

A link to the manual is included in the download page. I don't recall off the top of my head and I don't guess when it comes to flashing firmware.

There's a saying around here - RTFM.

A link to the manual is included in the download page. I don't recall off the top of my head and I don't guess when it comes to flashing firmware.

i will RTFM lol

thank you so much