Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Franklin

1747-PIC DRIVER FOR Windows XP

11 posts in this topic

Hello, Where I can download the 1747-PIC driver for Windows XP ? I use RSLink 2.42, but the PIC driver does not work. And When a PC with win98 the driver work well. Thank's

The PIC driver works spotty at best in XP/2000/NT. Are you plugging directly into a com port or are you using a USB to serial converter? If you are, you need to go to the Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase and look up the recommended converters. In their testing they only found a couple that worked. You may want to consider replacing your PIC with a 1747-UIC (USB interface). RA is phasing out the PIC and replacing it with the UIC, as most laptop manufacturers are no longer shipping products with serial ports; only USB ports.

I don't use USB converter. I have a serial I/0 PC card whith a RS232 port. http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0700-004.asp

When you say it "doesn't work", what are the symptoms? Are you able to successfully configure the driver? Does the driver configure and say it is "STOPPED" and you are unable to "START" it? Do you get any port conflict messages? Are the START and STOP pushbuttons grayed-out when you configure it?

Please see "APPLICATION NOTES" about 2/3 of the way into the attached document. Release_Note_Technote_RSLinx_v2_42_Build_18_Release_Notes.htm

Yes exactly, I unable to start the driver and the "start"and "stop" buttons are greayed-out. Thank you mgvol for your support

Additionally, there was a period of time where the PIC driver would not work with expansion PCMCIA serial cards like the one you are using, but I'm not sure if they ever fixed that in the later versions of RSLinx. Also, you may want to look at this RA Knowledgebase document: P45738359 - Can't configure the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in Windows XP

I had the same problem with the PIC and the Rockwell rep told me to get rid of my PICS and use a serial cable instead and it's worked great ever since!

One of the best solutions for talking to DH485 devices using a modern PC is the Allen-Bradley USB to DH485 convertor 1747-UIC They cost about the same as the PIC Edited by Snerkel

Just as I thought, RSLinx is still incompatible with expansion serial cards like the one you are using. You're probably goint to have to go with one of the "approved" USB-to-serial converters.

I believe even the "approved" USB to serial converters will only work DF1 so no good for the DH485 protocol used by the PIC