Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Akif KC

HMI Language Translation

13 posts in this topic

Hi All,

We have a facility in Mexico, and I am told to create HMI screen with English and/or Spanish language options. I am really confused whether is there anyway to make it in an optional way, or do I have to create the screens exactly again for Spanish as well. Please help me in this guys. Thank you very much and really appreciate it.

Akif.

Build your HMI application (unless it is done already). Next, select TOOLS, select TAG IMPORT EXPORT WIZARD. In the Tag Import Export Wizard pop-up select EXPORT FACTORYTALKVIEW TAG DATABASE TO CSV FILES; this pushes all screen content out to a CSV file. You add a column for your 2nd language and enter all of the language translations. Then add an HMI button that switches languages (it will show up as a flag icon that selects between base English and the 2nd language Spanish). Lastly, you import the CSV file that reads in all of the translations. Compile your HMI application and run it to test it. Keep in mind the CSV file is very finicky for formatting. If you tweak the format it will not work. There are A-B Knowledgebase articles on doing this.

1 person likes this

Sounds good ! I will definitely try it and let you know. Thank you very much Kaiser_Will :)

Hi,

I tried to do as you told. So, I ended up creating Tags.CSV file. But i don't really understand what I am supposed to do with that. I am sorry, maybe I am not clear what you want me to do exactly. The CSV file is a 1 Kb file.

I will just explain all the steps I did, so you can stop me if I am doing wrong in any steps.

>Tools>Tag imp and Exp Wizard>Operation-Export FTV tag database to CSV files>Source Project-Project type- Machine Edition- Project- Browse to select the HMI file I have to create the CSV file- In which I selected the RSView Machine Edition Development File>The at last, Destination file- I selected the destination path- and I have the .CSV file which I was talking about.

This is what I have as an end product. Please tell me what I have to do so as to get the translation. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you very much.

Akif.

Post the CSV file that you created

With this CSV file, you will add your 2nd language column, convert the 1st language cells to 2nd language (so you will have 3 columns overall if my memory is correct...Item, Language1, and your new Language 2).

Then you import this CSV file into FTView ME into your project, much like you did when you EXPORTED the tag list.  This step adds a new field of data to every item in the project, the 2nd language field.

Edited by kaiser_will

But where should I put the second language??? I am sorry, I cant find any column to put in. And when I tried to open the CSV file it is opening in excel. Where should I open it? Thanks.

The way you were told is incorrect.

You need to do this:

Open HMI project

Select Tools 

Select Languages

Add the Language you want to use (Spanish Mexico)

Click OK

Click Add

Click Export

Choose Export strings for all languages to an Excel spreadsheet

Make sure optimize duplicate strings is checked

Click Next and follow prompts

Open the Escel file

You will get an error saying file is in a different format..... Select YES

There will be a tab called es-MX

The English tags will be to the left and you fill in the Spanish ones where it says Undefined

Don't forget to add the language switch button on the HMI somehwere.

Edited by Armadillo852
Sorry, had a brain fart
2 people like this

Wow! Sounds great! Thank you very much Armadillo! Would definitely try this now and let you know! :)

Hello Armadillo,

I am having a small confusion, after I follow as I told a file has been created. But do I have to write the Spanish translated words for the words I need myself, or the software translates it for me? Please clarify it for me. Thank you very much.

You will need to write them. The column will say *undefined. This is where you would enter your spanish words.