JiM_cz

Problem with connection between PC and GOT 1020

14 posts in this topic

I'm trying to connect my laptop with GOT 1020. I get communication error message saying I should check cable, port etc. I've checked everything and I can't find anything wrong. I have a serial cable with usb adapter cable attach to it. I've tried both USB connection and serial port in my old laptop but still the same. The GTD 3 offers me com 5 and I tried to change the speed of communication but with no success. Do you have any suggestions please?

20161214_081441_resized.jpg

Which model of GT1020? There are several flavors. IIRC, you need to use an SC-Q programming cable, not an SC-09, but I'd have to double check.

I have 2 types of 1020 available, the difference is in the power supply. One needs 5V via the PLC cable, the other one needs 24V. I can't communicate with either of them. The cable I'm using between GOT and PC (the one the pic) should be the correct one. A college told me that he used it some time ago and it worked. Though there is no manufacture label on the cable so I don't know what type it is. But it's not the PLC programing cable because the pins on the round connector are different.

USB to serial adapters can be very difficult.  I've always found that the Keyspan USA-19HS is the one that works for all PLC and HMI products I've worked with.

Thanks for your effort to help me. I've tried 2 laptops with serial ports, 2x GOT 1020 screens a still no communication between PC and the screens. I've checked (buzzed) the cable according to the pic I've googled (bellow) and the cable seems OK.

I've actually managed to connect and download a program for the screen ONES last week (through the USB adapter I think). But after that, I can''t connect again any more. Does it make any sense? Could the USB program download somehow messed up the screen settings?

1120161215_084105_resized.jpg

Have you set the software to use the correct port? You're using a USB to Serial adapter, not a true USB connection. So you need to make sure the adapter is installed on your computer and look up the port that it is installed as. This can be found in Device Manager under the Com Ports heading. Then setup the GT Works communication configuration for serial using that port.

I don't think I'm making a mistake in this part. As you can see on the pic, if I try to use the red serial cable, I choose com 1 and when I add the USB adapter to the cable, I choose com 5. But I keep getting the communication error.

2220161215_105234_resized.jpg

I've never had to adjust the baudrate to talk to a GT1020. If you've tried multiple computers, and multiple GT1020, and you have the comms settings correct (appears you do), and you still are getting nothing, then I would suspect the cable. It's the only part you haven't swapped out. The continuity check is a good start, but there could be other issues that won't pick up. If the cable is damaged, you could have high resistance or a short-circuit, or perhaps a damaged connector.

I think I've figured it out. And you've nailed it as well. I've made a new communication cable from an old PS/2 mouse  cable(surprisingly the same round pinout) and the other end I've chopped off from something else, soldered together and voila, it works. Thanks all of for your help and time.

The old cable must have faulty the serial connector end. When I tested the conductivity, my testing probes were either thicker or longer than the male pins on my laptop 232 and that's why it seemed to be ok.

Great! Thanks for the update.

I'm expecting a GOT 1000 to arrive from Mitsubishi. Does it include the programming cable or does that come separately? GT1658M-STBA

Thanks

Programming cable is a separate purchase. However, the GT16 series can be programmed with USB or Ethernet, so no special cable needed.

1 person likes this