SoftwareJanitor

How Do I Edit PanelView Plus (1000?) File?

9 posts in this topic

How Do I Edit PanelView Plus (1000) File?

Feel stupid asking such a basic question, but they asked me to make a change to this PanelView Plus app here at work (I'm not the "PLC guy' here), and I don't know *how* to open the darn thing.  It was hard enough just trying to *find* the app.

I've got two files.  One is type "FT View Archive File" and the other is "RSView ME Station File".  I tried starting up "FactoryTalk View ME Station" and it brought up a simple panel with  "Load Application" and "Terminal Settings" buttons active, but all that seems to do is RUN the panel.  Can't seem to edit it that way.  

I also see "FactoryTalk View Studio", but when I start *that* up, it asks me to choose an application type to configure (something new?).

There's also something here called "Application Manager" which pops up a dialog with (4) radio buttons for Machine Edition or (3) Site Editions (Local, Network, or Network Distributed).  If I select "Machine Edition" and click "Next", there's a button to "Restore Application".  Is that what I want to do (to restore the Archive File)????

Why is everything about Rockwell so convoluted and confusing?  

Archive files should have a .APA extension. A runtime file will have a .MER extension. Panelview Plus is programmed in FactoryTalk View Studio ME. So you're on the right track.

FTV ME actually stores the program in a file directory with all sorts of pieces. The archive packs all those up into one place, and is used primarily to backup or transfer a project to another programmer. So if you're using the computer that was used to program the PV+ originally, then you don't need to mess with the archive. Just fire up FTV Studio ME, and when it asks you which project to open, choose the correct one.

If you are using a different computer, then use the application manager to "Restore" the archive file.

We only have installed View Studio for ME, since that's all we use and all we have licensed.  You want to "restore" the archived file inside Application manager. 

FTView_AppManager.png.c28a118128a7163cd1

Select "Restore application", click Next, click the "..." button and navigate to the *.apa file. Click "Next" again and "Finish".  When it finishes, click "Cancel" when it returns to the application manager.

Then open View Studio for Machine Edition.  The file you opened should be in the "New/Open Machine Edition Application" dialog.

We've found that AB software is FAR simpler to deal with than Siemens.  Their FT View Studio software is an exception to the rule that their software is simple and easy to use.

JRoss and JoeE:

Thanks so much for your prompt replies.  I've got the Application Manager up and I'm pointing it to the "FT View Archive" file, and now it's asking me for a name for the new application, and when I leave it as is it says "that name already exists, do you want to overwrite it ?" ... which is fine - except WHERE is it putting it?  Is it going into the same directory where the Archive file is because right now that's the only file in that directory and it is *not* named the same thing (ie: it has "Rev 10" tacked onto the end).  Makes me wonder where this file is going (unless it's just ignoring the "Rev 10" in the name, for some reason)

If it's prompting you to overwrite, that means that the project already exists on your local machine.  If you're not 100% sure, I would give it a new name, maybe add today's date to the end.

It stores the projects in a particular location on your hard drive.  You don't need to go there at all.  When you open View studio, it will show the projects it has, listed by the name you enter in the Application Manager as it restores. If it doesn't automatically show the "new/open" dialog box, click the "open" button on the toolbar.

Just now, Joe E. said:

It stores the projects in a particular location on your hard drive.  

Yeah, but why doesn't it tell you WHERE it's putting it?  Normally you'd see an entry box to specify WHERE to put the output - like with WinZip.  Is there some config file somewhere where this path is specified?  The shortcut for Application Manager points to an RSView Enterprise directory under the Rockwell Software directory under Program Files, but I don't see anything obvious in there.

I can rename it, sure, but I need to know WHERE it's going to dump it. 

That path is the only place that FactoryTalk View stores its project files.

You can't change it.  You shouldn't access it with anything other than Application Manager.

Yes, it sounds unnecessary and different from most other software packages.   But that's the way it works.   There are reasons that make a little sense when you're using the distributed project model of FTView Site Edition, but even Machine Edition has these fixed, un-exposed project file paths.

Edited by Ken Roach

OK, finally got it open yesterday.  Thanks!

Looks like it's saving the apps in:  C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects

One other question: can you put logic in these PanelView Pluses, or is it just buttons and graphics?  I remember WAY back when I was asked to fill in on a PLC project I used a color panel, but it was just buttons and graphics.  All the logic had to go in the PLC. 

Now I need to add some functionality in one system that allegedly exists in another, but when I look in the PLC logic on the other app I see logic that handles a key press, but all it does is set an output and then that output is not referenced anywhere else in the PLC.  So I was thinking the logic must be in the Panel.  It's just an incrementer button to bump a setpoint up and down.

Depends on what you mean by logic. There's a Ramp Button object that will do what you're looking for. And you can put in some pretty sophisticated expressions for animating objects (color, visibility, etc.). And you can set up "macros" that will change the value of tag based on the values of other tags. But in terms of making decisions and controlling outputs, the answer is no, nor would you want to.