Stuart_Wales

GOT 27 Series - Ethernet Master/Slave Switch

27 posts in this topic

Is there any way to switch a GOT 27xxx screen to a slave for Ethernet as opposed to the master; which it looks like it's defaulted at.

Got to ask why?

Yeah. I'm also interested in knowing why...

Indeed Why?

Our current OEE system has an Ethernet master Modbus system that reads and writes from our server room and to 150+ machines which were/are e-terminal screens as a slave.

We have now standardised to GOT and have been told that they are master only and not switchable.... from the local salesman who convinced us to standardise to them with the guarantee that they can 'do everything an E-screen can, and them some'. Well it obviously can't.

There is a plan b and c in the pipeline, but it would mean buying Ethernet cards for our racks at £600 a pop x 8 machines with GOT screens.

This forum has been very helpful to me, so I was hoping someone would have more knowledge on the GOT than me at this point, as they are new to us.

The Modbus RTU/TCP (Slave/Server) driver will be included in the next version of GT Designer.

That's at least what the Mitsubishi guys in Japan promised the local rep here.

Let's hope the update will be released soon.

Your local salesman might be able to arrange a beta version for you since he's to blame for your current situation.

There are a lot of handy functions in the E1000 panels that's missing in the GOT's, that's for sure. 

Hi Bryll,

My local rep has said the opposite. He says that Japan are not moving on this?

The 'work around' they've offered me is £600 for an Ethernet card to sit on any spare slots on the 8 machines we've brought in with GOT. Alternative is Q03UDE CPU's, but then we question our connection from PLC to GOT as we need a direct couple from Modbus to OEE data (be it from GOT or PLC) and not an Ethernet hub/switch in the local panels.

That's sadly why it sometimes can be hard to trust sales-departements... Which other options are available @Stuart_Wales? You mentioned you had several options, maybe we can assist you in choosing the best option (I honestly don't see many options except the already suggested option with putting in Eth cards)...

Option 1 (Hasn't worked) was my IT guy trying to switch kepware side & leave GOT as master.

Option 2 (Currently playing with...) is load program into a Q06UDEHCPU, however I'm sure this wont work either as our system can't read PLC data via an Ethernet switch in the panel, meaning that I'd have to go straight into CPU and then lose my connection to HMI. CPU isn't taking the full program at the moment though, can I erase what's in the Q06 CPU before re-loading??

Option 3 is the Ethernet card. Problem then being that 1 of the machines hasn't got a spare place on the rack.... so probably an extension rack just for this card.

Regarding Option1: Why doesn't this work? I know at least the serial drivers supports that Kepware is slave or master. I think that TCP/IP should work too. Give me some time, I have a client running Kepware OPC... In worst case, if Kepware doesn't support ModbusTCP Server functionality you could always use a ModbusTCP to serial gateway to convert to serial data just before the server. Way cheaper than Ethernet cards... I'll check it out, just give me a couple of days - in the meantime you could post some screenshots of the Kepware config your IT guy is struggling with...

1 person likes this

His reply to me was (he's remote in Germany, I am in sunny Wales, UK)

Hi Stuart,

Couldn’t get it to work, even with placing Kepware in slave mode. Looks like Kepware supports slave but not a mix of master and slave (all the other machines its acting as master).

So next test:

Can you replace the Modbus Driver with a Mitsubishi Ethernet Q driver please and send me a screenshot.

PLAN A attempts:

So currently on site, we have a similar set up where we've spoken A series to A series as a phantom set up to get PLC to talk to Kepware, he tried this again and still couldn't talk via GOT.

So he tried talking direct from kepware to Ethernet master GOT. Failed.

Then we changed comms to GOT to phantom Q series PLC. Failed.

Then finally our blueprint which is elsewhere of E-Screen Ethernet to phantom A series PLC (obviously changing e-screen for GOT) and that also failed.

Note: I have zero exposure to the Kepware side, so have been relying on whatever my IT contact is giving me as information.

Have you considered another approach. Your current OEE System does it make use of a Database ?
If so why not just let the GT27  get the information from the DB. it's very easy to setup

Edited by Gambit

Hi Gambit. A massive issue for us at the moment is turning over a lot of new machines vs. staff able to commission them. Our current skillset has just got up to speed with the kepware set up', so I am trying to keep it as standard as possible.... for now.

Probably mid next year, I will look into a massive step forward in hardware which ultimately try to lower/eliminate this need for the kepware set up which takes up labour for every machine we drop.

For now, I am stuck with what we've got and production screaming for OEE haha...

I checked my clients site and they didn't use the Kepware OPC to handle PLC level data, they only used the Kepware OPC to gather data from other OPC servers, and the log-module from Kepware to log to the DB.

But if I were you, I would contact Kepware customer support. I find it very hard to believe that you cannot setup two isntances; one for ModbusClient and one for ModbusServer at the same time. If this is not possible, a cheaper approach would be to implement a second OPC server (only one license) to handle ModbusServer data and use your existing Kepware OPC server to handle ModbusClient data.

Which OEE System are you using at the moment?

Edited by Gambit

Thanks @kaare_t , I'm planning to dig deeper into the kepware system early 2017 as it's fairly new to me.

@Gambit we use Gemba 'OEE Impact Connect' software.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎22 at 5:27 PM, Stuart_Wales said:

Is there any way to switch a GOT 27xxx screen to a slave for Ethernet as opposed to the master; which it looks like it's defaulted at.

Yes !

If you upgrade your GT Designer to version 1.170C, then you can select if the panel shall be Client or Server.

1 person likes this

Just now, Bryll said:

Yes !

If you upgrade your GT Designer to version 1.170C, then you can select if the panel shall be Client or Server.

Wow, this could be big for us!! I'll have a look when I get spare time! Thank you.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, Bryll said:

Yes !

Have you actually achieved this mate, or is it still just a quote from a rep?

Just tried to define a port a Modbus TCP channel after a software upgrade, and could select Master or Slave function.

I was using a GT27 series panel, it might only work on the higher panel series.

1 person likes this

Brilliant!! Can you screenshot where you could switch in GT Designer for me please?

Something like this Sir ?

GOT Modbus.jpg

1 person likes this

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎24 at 5:43 PM, Stuart_Wales said:

My local rep has said the opposite. He says that Japan are not moving on this?

You need a new rep, I can share mine with you :slydog:

Mine is actually the product manager, guess yours is a sales rep ?

I hope this can solve the problem you have.

1 person likes this

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, Bryll said:

You need a new rep, I can share mine with you :slydog:

Mine is actually the product manager, guess yours is a sales rep ?

I hope this can solve the problem you have.

LOOK WHAT I'VE GOT!!!! :dance:

dsdfgsdgd.thumb.png.0093b9ccaa082a65d683