WylieC

Simple data acquistion

5 posts in this topic

New to PLC's and  want to build a data acquisition that can read 1 or 2 analog inputs (0-10V) and also have some digital I/O for communicating with another PLC via discrete I/O.  Looking at:

1. Beckhoff  BK9055 Bus coupler with some add on modules
  2. National Instruments products

I would ultimately like to have this as a standalone device that just sends a signal when the measurements are out of range but I want to start with the right product that allows me to eventually do more , eventually motion control etc.. 

I know it is kind of a vague question but any suggestions for a beginner

Wc

Does your 'data acquisition' include saving data over a period of time, or is it just the 'alarming' function you describe?   
Most PLCs do not save data well, if at all; they work in real-time and the task of saving data tends to be handled by HMI software that runs on a PC which communicates to the PLC via a network (Ethernet, RS-485, proprietary) via some industrial protocol.  Alarming on the other hand is typical PLC real-time task.  

I am not a programmer so the day I had to sit through a Codesys (Beckhoff's development software) programming lesson was painful, I understood very little, compared to plain old ladder logic programming.  Maybe there's a get-to-ladder shortcut in Codesys, but the folks at that class didn't seem to know it.  If you're a programmer on the other hand, it might be very attractive.

For small projects that use conventional I/O for real time tasks, I'd use Automation Direct - super tutorials and well written documentation.

I find National Instruments to be PC based for higher acquisition speeds than the typical industrial mark

Thanks for your input DanW!  Yes, I want to save data as well. 

Wylie,

Would you be saving the data locally at the control or transmitting it to your NI product?  If you do not need to store remotely, then you may want to consider the Triangle Research product line.  For a few I/O and analog, there is the Nano-10.  This includes an Ethernet port.  If more I/O is required then you will want to look at the FMD series.  Here is a link to the product information -  http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/tri-plc.htm

Note:  ESI is an authorized distributor for Triangle Research. 

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me through email - info@eternity-sales.com