PLCoblems

SLC 500 IP address

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I am pretty new at this, but I have a SLC500 with Ethernet connection.  It's existing in the system and has been there for a lot longer than I have.  I wanted to troubleshoot it for a problem the system had but I don't know the IP address.  How can I figure out the IP address?

The quick easy answer is this device

https://www.theautomationstore.com/ethernet-ip-address-explorer-dhcp-and-bootp-server/

Depending on the firmware of the SLC it will show up as an Ethernet/IP device in RsLinx.  Also are there any PCs that already connect to it for SCADA systems?  That will get you in the right area.

My company probably won't let me get that device, though it would be nice...  So if I connect to it via Ethernet and open RSLinx, the IP address will show where?

Be aware that the only SLC with an Ethernet connection is the 5/05.  The 5/03 has an RJ45 connection but it is DH485, not Ethernet.

1 person likes this

5/04 has DH+ (round mini-DIN and 3-pin Phoenix connector) and a 9-pin D-sub connector that can be configured for DF1, DH485, or Modbus RTU.

The Ethernet IP driver in Linx will show the IP address of all Ethernet IP devices on the network, but the PC must be on the same network. Other option would be to go online with the serial port.

The other option if you have any knowledge of it is get the MAC address and then use BootP. Should have a label on it. You may have to remove the processor to get that info. I do agree with Puddler, the easiest way is to connect via serial port and even if you don't have a copy of program, you can still look at Channel Configuration and look under the Channel 1 tab and get all the info you need.

Edited by Gig Jr

If you have an Ethernet-based device, but you do not know the IP address of the device...download and install freeware WireShark onto your development PC; if you are using a laptop, disable your wireless adapter; plug into the Ethernet network; run WireShark and sniff out what devices are communicating.  It takes a little while to get a handle on what WireShark is telling you, but you can ascertain the originating Ethernet address of a device.

Allen-Bradley typically has a canned MAC addressing protocol for their devices.  MAC addresses are unique for every Ethernet-based device, with the first X hex registers being the same for A-B and the last Y hex registers being unique (00:00:BC:xx:yy:zz)  In WireShark, when you see an entry from a device with the 00:00:BC MAC address, WireShark can give you a clue as to the Ethernet address or pinpoint the address.

Once you think you have a handle on the Ethernet address, set the IP address of your Development PC to communicate with it.  If the process can allow you to disrupt the PLC Ethernet network, pull the Ethernet cable at the processor and verify in WireShark that the connection has stopped.  Plug the PLC back in.  Pull up a DOS command prompt and ping that mother.

Before you are done, do everybody a favor and write the Ethernet address on a sticker and put it inside or on the PLC processor.

If it's possible to get your hands on an offline copy of the RSLogix500 program, the IP addy of the SLC5/05 may be available in there. As long as the network system is static.

Find and open the processor channel configuration in the project tree. From the channel configuration window, find channel 1, which is the 5/05's Ethernet port. Pertinent network info is viewable and editable there.

Pic attached for clarity.

IP ADDY.jpg