MAKsys

SCL Powerup Fault

8 posts in this topic

Need a little help here - I am trying to re-purpose some old hardware.  I have 2 old SLC5/04 B processors (+15 yrs?), that are giving me the same problem.  After a power cycle, they boot to a solid fault light - no comms.  Cycling the keyswitch has no effect.  Popping the processor from the rack and reseating it, powers up in a default state - it will not reload automatically from the EEPROM (when I establish comms, I can reload from the EEPROM or download the program from RSLogix).  I can't read the processor fault.  The battery is good.  The rack was scavenged, I have no idea its history.  Also in the 4-slot rack are DI, DO and RIO Scanner cards.

I would consider my self a competent programmer, but no A-B expert.  Any ideas here would be appreciated.

Probably one of two things.  Could be a faulty EEprom module, but since it loads up when you take it out I doubt that.  Check incoming power to the power supply, and if OK then replace power supply and see if problem goes away.  Obviously if it goes away then the PS is to blame.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare 4-slot, but I do have a 7 I can use to test.  Thanks, for finding that old thread - I looked at a bunch, didn't find that one.

I'll post what I find.

Is the 120/230VAC jumper on the rack power supply set for the correct voltage?

Haven't abandoned the thread, just haven't had a chance to get back to the site.  Should be there tomorrow.   BTW - double checked the jumper, its good.

Finally had a chance to swap the 4-slot carrier - and everything is working great!  Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for letting us know what you found.