Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Amine Bouabidi

RsView Studio Tags problem !

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone !

The plant where i work uses allen bradley CompactLogix 5000 controllers. It has three controllers, each one controlling a seperate production line.

So my superior asked me to add a functionnality to the existing program, and after a little research, i found that it is better to edit the program in "Online Mode", and that's what i did.

After that, i wanted to associate the new tags i created with some views in RsView Studio, but i cannot find any tags in the online folder associated to the controller, even though the connection shortcut is set and is working, and the online folders of the other two controllers contain all their tags !

Any suggestions please ?

Online Mode...doing online edits on running processes can result in unplanned downtime if you are not 100% sure of the changes you commit to when accepting the online edits.  If you missed a detail, the process be brought immediately to a stop if there is a mistake.  Common mistakes...math over-run (divide by 0) or an array is not dimensioned large enough.

Online edits are great in that you do not have to download (and stop the process to do).  But, if you add tags or change a tags attributes, such as modify the dimension, then a download is required.

You have a Logix5000 program, went online with the processor, created new tags, but cannot see them - correct?  Did you take the most-recent PLC program, add new tags, then go online without downloading?  

Yes i tried it. What is strange is that when i did the same modification on the program running on the second controller, everything worked fine ! The reason why i chose online edits in the first place is to avoid stopping the whole process, which will cause significant loss to the plant.

P.S : i kept getting a stange error on RsView Studio when running the client, it is something related to a DNA SERVER PROXY.

Have you tried to right click on the online folder in RsView and then refresh all folders?

Thank you all for your answers. I had to restart the rslinx server and that actually solved the problem !