Campbell2112

Can't connect with serial USB connection

12 posts in this topic

I am new at programming but I have purchased cx programmer and can connect to diff plc's via USB connection but when I go to hook up to a Plc that I have to use a serial end (I am also using the serial to USB jumper ) my USB port doesn't recognize it and my only option on direct online is USB I can't even select Serial connection. I understand for most of you this is a no brainer but everyone starts somewhere, but defiantly need some help 

Edited by Campbell2112

Try using a different USB cable. Have had issues in the past with some USB cables just refusing to work.

1 person likes this

I use this same cable to connect the same way with the company's computer could it be my driver ?

1 hour ago, Campbell2112 said:

I use this same cable to connect the same way with the company's computer could it be my driver ?

That is possible I suppose. You could try updating your driver to see if that helps. Some of the USB/serial adapters will work with one computer or PLC and not work with another one. What type of adapter is it???

1 person likes this

Original OMRON CS1W-CIF31 works on all of company PCs

1 person likes this

I just bought this computer and cx programmer so I could have my own instead of just learning at work but I am not having any luck connecting with serial I have the basic driver that was in my computer I'm not for sure what's going on there is a solid comm light on every Plc I go to connect with using this set up

USB to serial adapters are hit or miss.  I always use Keyspan USA-19HS and it's flawless.  

Try a better quality USB to serial adapter.

Okay tried the keyspan I now have the option for serial on com 4 but I have no comm light on my Plc but the keyspan is blinking 

Are you using a C200H-CN220 cable? A standard DB9 cable will not work because the PLC serial port has a non-standard pinout.

I got it I needed to download a 64 bit driver for my serial converter thank you guys so much it's great to have a place where we can learn from one another 

Out of curosity, why did you need a serial cable to connect to the PLC, could you not have just used a USB a to USB B cable? What type of PLC was it?