akcraig85

CQM1 and NT20M-DT131 help

20 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.  Im in need of some help.  Ive been trying to do some research on a the Omron CQM1 and NT20M-DT131 and every helpful link i come across is from this website so I figured id ask and get some help.

My company has a machine that was built in 1995 and has these components on it.  The touchscreen failed and we sent it back to the people we bought it from to have it fixed and when they sent it back the program was no longer loaded on the screen.  I called them to ask for it and they said they didnt have the programs anymore because its 21 years old....... Awesome!!!  Well now i have to fix it.  My company want me to make a new screen for the system.  They have 1 picture of the screen but no register list or set of instructions on what its supposed to do.  They just have an instruction list saying press manual or auto then start.  

I was able to extract the file from the PLC but I cant figure out what registers are coming from the screen.  i found what i thought was the correct values but when i force them on the machine still doesnt work.  I have never used the screen or plc software before and only found a link to download it and how to extract the files and make cables from this site.

Is there a way to tell in the PLC file which registers are "external"?  Is anyone willing to take a glance at it for me and let me know?  Will the Omron screen talk to differnt screens (Red lion) or will it only talk to the old Omron screen?  Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Adam  

Post your PLC file.  The CQM1 will work with a variety of touchscreens both Omron and others.  Also instruction list and screen shot.

Since you are from Houston, is this a film winder or other petro application?

Here are the files i extracted and a scanned copy of the ladder logic that was in the box.  Thanks

edit*****  The PDF copy is actually alot more helpful because it gives an description of what is there.  is there a way to turn that on in the PLC file?

plc upload.cxp

plc upload.opt

plc logic.pdf

Edited by akcraig85

Just now, Jay Anthony said:

Since you are from Houston, is this a film winder or other petro application?

The machine takes multiple pieces of plastic and presses them together and cuts them out to make enema bags.  

Also the machine is located in Del Rio, Texas.  not sure how i even got involved with this.  I do PLC and screen programming for an oil company but we have a sister company and their machine broke and im the resident fixer.  

The PDF copy is actually alot more helpful because it gives an description of what is there.  is there a way to turn that on in the PLC file?

No, but it can be cut and pasted to the .cxp file.  Correction: the pdf file must have been scanned from paper.

I have done this before.  How far do you want to take this?

You mentioned a screen shot from the original HMI.  Do you sill have it?

Correct, i scanned in the PDF version from documents i found in the control box.  Ive attached the picture they gave me from when the screen was working.  They said there was nothing to the left of the start and stop cycle buttons.  

Basically if you can tell me everything labeled as "xxx123" in the file is a register to or from the screen I should be able to recreate it.  Or if you're  bored and up for the challenge and  want to give me a list of registers to and from the screen that would be even better but that sounds like a lot of work.  I dont think its worth recreating a file for the original screen because then id have to learn that software too.  I've confirmed with Red Lion that their screen has a driver for this PLC so I shouldnt have a problem getting it to work if i know what i need to talk to.    

screen 1.jpg

Let me noodle on it...

I converted the .pdf to OCR to allow cut and paste to the .cxp file.

I created a symbol file listing in Excel to facilitate updating the symbol table.

I cut and pasted the comments into rung properties in the .cxp file.

The rest is up to you.

If you are unclear on how I achieved these results, please feel free to ask.

plc upload commented.cxp

PLC Upload Symbol File.xlsx

plc logic ocr.pdf

2 hours ago, Jay Anthony said:

I converted the .pdf to OCR to allow cut and paste to the .cxp file.

I created a symbol file listing in Excel to facilitate updating the symbol table.

I cut and pasted the comments into rung properties in the .cxp file.

The rest is up to you.

If you are unclear on how I achieved these results, please feel free to ask.

plc upload commented.cxp

PLC Upload Symbol File.xlsx

plc logic ocr.pdf

WOW!!!!  Thank you so much.  Thats amazing and exactly what I need.  Im not sure how you pulled that out of your hat so quickly.  If you need any Red Lion of Schneider PLC help hit me up in the future and im your guy.  

Way to go Jay :clap:!

Thanks, Jeff,  The pdf was a LSS printout...

Ahh, the good ol' days,  LSS, DOS and dot matrix printers!

I always liked those LSS printouts. Using them and a handheld programmer was the fastest and easiest way to troubleshoot since dragging a 386 PC on a cart was the alternative.

i have a quick question and wasn't sure if you'd see it in the thread I had going where you helped me before.  Im having some issues getting this CQM1 communicating with my screen.  the excel sheet you made for me had "registers" of 30.00 - 30.15.  Does this mean register 30 then bits 0-15 or is the 3 a place holder and it means register 0 then bits 0-15?  I've been trying both with all the different data types Red Lion has setup for Omron c series plcs but clarification could make it quicker.  

Also, I have my pc connected to the PLC and then I spliced in the communications for the screen.  Can I do that?  I'm not really sure how else I would be able to see the plc to see if the screen is actually doing anything since both connect to the db9 connector.  Thanks for your help and time.

30.00-30.15 are the correct addresses.

Since the connection is RS232, splicing the PC and Touchscreen connection will definitely not work.

Try adding additional code to drive outputs so you can observe touchscreen action.

Also, look at purchasing a peripheral port cable to monitor through the peripheral port.

Use Hostlink (Sysway) protocol in the Red Lion screen. Default is 9600, E, 7, 2

Thanks for the quick reply!!!!!  ill let you know the results.  

Is there a pin out for the 20 pin peripheral port? Everything I'm finding online says db25 connector but I counted and there's definitely only 20 pins.   

The port is TTL.  So any cable has additional electronics in it to bring it up to RS232.

Do yourself a favor and buy a cable.

cqm1-cif02

I got it communicating, woohoo.  I'll document it in case someone has to do this torture in the future.

I used the Omron series C PLC driver on a 232 port in the Red Lion screen.  I mapped the tags directly because a gateway block wouldn't work.  When mapping them I used the IOM  CIO Registers (Binary) as the data item with the data type set as word as word.  I started with element 30 (what was used in my PLC file) and I had to change the treat as to Bit Array Little-Endian so I could then set the bit position for each tag.  

I hope no one has to use this information in the future, but there it is just in case.  Thanks again Jay for all the help with this.  I couldn't have done it without you.  If anyone has other questions in the future PM me so i get an email about it.  

Edited by Jay Anthony
Spelling