Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asteroidehk

Micro 820 through Ethernet?

3 posts in this topic

Hello Friends

I need to send/receive some bits and integers between 10 Micro820 PLCs through Ethernet.

Also, I need to synchronize the real time clock in all of them.

I have done a similar project in the past with 4 Micrologix 1100 and it worked excellent.

Now, I need to reduce cost, so I am thinking in Micro820.

What do you think?

Is it possible?

Any comment would be appreciated.nod.gif

Thanks in advance.

If you are still evaluating whether or not to use the Micro820, then I would suggest searching this forum for past experiences.  I did that recently and decided to stay with the 1100 and 1400 for my project requiring a cheaper PLC.  To summarize my findings, the increased time required to program the Micro8xx was enough to justify a higher priced PLC.   If you bill your time, then PLC cost + time will be more expensive with the Micro*xx.

If you think that you will want to have the option to use the Micro 800 gear in the future you really need to give it a try.  When you have some experience with the 800 it will make these decisions easier.  We have been using these (mostly the 850) for small systems.  Its very capable and has flexible communication options.  Thru Ethernet you can use Messaging or Modbus TCP/IP.  Maybe other options as well but we have not done a lot of networking applications.  The best way to describe the Micro 800 is to say that its Allen Bradley with a big taste of Europe.  We like it so far.