Nicholas Christian

Building an HMI with CX-Designer

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm working on an industry project (undergraduate senior capstone project) and need to build a Human Machine Interface for a NS5-SQ10B-V2 module; it will be used with a CJ1M-CPU11 PLC. I've been using CX-Designer and CX-Programmer thus far. This software is new to me, and before this project I have had no experience with OMRON tech or Ladder Logic.

This PLC will be controlling a windshield wiper motor and a solenoid valve. 

Here's what I'd like to ask:

1 - If this were your project, what information would you immediately set out to acquire? How should I prepare the HMI for the PLC? I already have multiple user manuals, including the one for CX-Designer.

2 - Our PLC is already wired, so how do I translate that to my HMI functional objects in CX-Designer? I need to make sure my ON/OFF buttons, command buttons, word buttons, and others correspond to the correct I/O's of the PLC.

Conclusion: I have already completed the GUIDE tutorial that comes with CX-Designer, but welcome further tutorials, videos, or any information on working with CX-Designer.

Thanks for reading! Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

You need to look at the PLC program and see the addresses used for the inputs and outputs.  Then you need to make sure you use those same addresses to build your screens.

An HMI is to visualize a PLC project, so first you need to understand the PLC project.

Thank you for your reply, Crossbow!

I did receive some ladder logic programs for one of the older PLC's, but we don't have one for this new PLC yet. Should I choose my own addresses?

I want to write a LL program in CX-Programmer for this PLC, so I'll match the addresses between Programmer and Designer. How do I make sure the addresses I use in Programmer are matching up with the I/O's of the PLC wiring? I am familiar with the concept of words and bits.

Until you now the actual PLC and the order of the input and output cards, I would not look at addressing.  You can force cards to start at specific addresses, but the default layout is much easier for future troubleshooting.

If you are writing the PLC program, then you will know what addresses to use based on the program.  But the first step is to determine the order of the cards on the PLC to know their default addresses.