jake4eng

Integrating PowerFlex 755, Incremental Encoder, & Proximity Sensors into Ladder Logic RsLogix (Studio) 5000

4 posts in this topic

Hello All!

This is my first post so please give my descriptions some lee-way please:P

I am having trouble finding a solid example of ladder logic which integrates a:

1. PowerFlex (755 in this case)
  2. Rotary Incrematal Encode ( or any encoder for that matter)
  3. A Prox to reset the resolution at specific points along the axis

Also, can I use the standard Motion Instructions (MAJ,MAS,MAM etc) to control the movement sequences of the PowerFlex or are they only meant for use with Servos?

I am working on automating a Lumber Treatment Process. The movements will have to move tens of thousands of pounds.. Therefore I would like to use the PowerFlex as a Torque Limiter to control a 15HP squirrel cage motor on a massive gear reduction. I have the distances and pulses per distance traveled from the mechanical engineering guys.. I'm just having problems integrating!

After using the Setup Wizard for PowerFlex how can I go about actually inserting movement instructions for the drive into my ladder logic?

Some more info on different movement profiles..

I've also included my attempt at trying to piece this together thus far.. Any input would be welcome! (StellaPLC) https://sites.google.com/site/lyncedrgb/eva/rslogix

The actual drive and PLC are not available to be me at this time.. could this be an issue while trying to write this motion control program? (obviously not testing & troubleshooting portion)

Tugger Speeds Freq. ACCEL TIME DECEL Time E-Stop Decel Torque % of max Notes  
VERY SLOW 15HZ 0.5s 0.5s 0s 100    
SLOW 30HZ 1s 1s 0s 100 Restricted to slow speed within 3m of ends of transfer deck  
HAUL 60HZ 5s 5s 2.5S 100 Max torque limit 250% of FLA  
EMPTY TRAVEL 120HZ 2s 0.5S 2.5S 30 Torque Limited to 25%  

Also, can I use the standard Motion Instructions (MAJ,MAS,MAM etc) to control the movement sequences of the PowerFlex or are they only meant for use with Servos?

The motion instructions are only applicable to motion control modules (1756-MO2AE, 1756-MO8SE). These modules interface with drives. The drives may be for servos or any other type of motor.

Look into using the 1756-MO2AE to run the powerflex with a +/- 10VDC signal. The signal can be configured to be a velocity command or a torque command.

This appears to be a 2-part solution.  Part 1, if you have not done so already, is the hardware interface; refer to Chapter 3; page 118 has encoder feedback configuration; do your research to specify the the right option card for the 755.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/motion-um003_-en-p.pdf

Part 2 is the Ethernet/IP adapter, which should have the programming examples you are inquiring about.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/750com-um001_-en-p.pdf

As far as I am aware you can use motion instructions on the PF755 as long as you have added it to the program as CIP drive, this will let you use the motion instructions.

you will need to read the manual to get further details.

Alan