G_DeMark

Program open ERROR

5 posts in this topic

I have a Logix 5000 program that I created in version 20.03.  I am now using a laptop running version 20.01.  When I attempt to open the project I immediately get an error message;

Project file contains an object whose format cannot be converted to it's current version.

Any ideas on how I can at least view this file.  I am not uploading/downloading to a PLC.  I just want to view the program at my desk.

Thanks

I'm fairly sure you'll have to upgrade your laptop to 20.03, as there are differences in the versions that make them incompatible.

Yes, often times newer versions of Logix/Studio5000 will not open projects created with an older version.  For this reason, many companies have strict version control policies.

You will need to upgrade to 20.03 on your new laptop.

There is a great work around for this...virtual machine.  We have used VMWare Workstation for many years.  One can easily create a new VirtualMachine, load it with the proper version programs, and make a backup.  With the VirtualMachine backup, other users can copy and import onto their PC and run an exact copy then check out the Rockwell licenses.  With this approach, every person in the organization can be using the same development versions (and it makes restoration after a failure painless).  Such as when you need to migrate to a new laptop (plug in a memory device, copy your Rockwell VirtualMachine, move it to your new laptop, import the Rockwell VirtualMachinee).

Many large organizations, such as Rockwell/Allen-Bradley, are using VirtualMachine technology for their field engineers.  VMWare Workstation runs ~ $250 a license.

VMWare Workstation - Tips and Tricks.doc

I was able to open it at last.

I had to update my software to version 20.04.

Apparently there were some bugs in the older version.

Thanks for your suggestions to solve this issue.

Be aware that if you have any project files stored in 20.01 that they will have to be updated to 20.03 or higher to open them on your laptop.  And then you will no longer be able to go online with the PLC without flashing it too.  V20 (and I think V19 as well?) have incompatible minor revisions that can't coexist and can't support PLCs at the other minor rev.  They're the only versions of RSLogix/Studio 5000 that are like this.  All of the other versions generally work as long as the major revision is correct.