Tijana

Can't see Micro850 after failed firmware update

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

This is the first time I use Micro850 controller (2080-LC50-48QWB) and after I made a really simple programme (just for testing) I wanted to download it to my controller (which I was able to see and connect to via Ethernet and USB normally) and I got a message saying that firmware version didn't match (programme - v9, and PLC - v4).

So I found some datasheet where was explained how to upgrade device firmware with ControlFLASH. I started the mentioned software, choose the right controller, and I choose the version 9 and the process started, but near the end I got the ERROR message, and the update wasn't finished successfully. So my controller went to fault (FAULT red light flashes) and now I can not see it in RSLinx nor via Ethernet nor USB.

Does anyone have any idea what could I do to try to establish connection with my controller? I have tried to change from prog mode to run, and back to prog, but the fault remains.

I really hope that I didn't make some serious mistake, because we need this PLC very soon for work.

Thanks  in advance!

How were you connected during the firmware update...via USB or Ethernet?  USB is convenient, but if the connection is interrupted during flashing, well you see what happens.  

I personally do not have experience with the new Micro850 controller, but can say that some A-B processors, when the firmware update is interrupted, you have successfully "bricked" the processor making it completely unusable.  In those cases, we had to replace the processor.

Have you called Rockwell/A-B Tech Support to inquire further?

I was connected via USB, because I thought that was maybe the safer connection, but apparently my logic was very wrong:wacko:

This is the line from the ControlFLASH log file that showed the error:

[FAILURE] Reset: Error #11003: Unconnected Send timed out waiting for a response.
  GS=0x01, ES=0x0204

So, I guess that you are completely right.

I am pretty new at the whole PLC thing, so this is the first time I actually heard of "bricking", and I thank you very much for your reply and a lesson.

I haven't contacted the Tech support yet, I wanted to try everything I could before I do that, but I guess I have no other choice left.

Thank you again, very very much!

Hi everyone

I have the same problem at the moment :).

Tijana what did you do? 

Did you have to replace the processor?