mjrx

Question on PowerFlex4 Drives

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if a 480V PowerFlex VFD will at least powerup on single phase 480V? I need to make sure the VFD's at least light up in a panel full of drives, there is no 3 phase available but I can feed them with a 120 - 480 single phase xformer, so L1 & L2 will have 480 to them. No loads are hooked up, so theres no danger of that. Just trying to see if the drives power up right now.

It has been some years since I put single phase on a three phase drive but the older Yaskawa, Toshiba, TB Woods and some AB drives would run a load just fine if Single Phase was on Phases A & C, leaving the B Open.  The only issue was you needed to derate the unit.  If you put 480 on L1/L3 you'll either get a missing phase error or a testable drive.

Thanks. I didn't need to run loads, just needed to make sure the drives came to life. Just a temporary test on a panel that hasn't been used in some time, and it's offline in storage with only 240 single phase in house (I had a 480/240 transformer to convert to 480). Yes, I found they power up on single phase across L1 & L2. I have used Mits a lot and they work like this too.