JacoRoselt

Controllogix and Ramsey Micro-Tech 9101

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would like to connect a  Ramsey Micro-Tech 9101 integrator via Ethernet/IP to a Controllogix. I have read the manual from Ramsey and they show that I should add a Generic Ethernet Module in RSLogix and enter the Input Assembly instance and Output Assembly parameters to get it working. I have tried the settings in the manual but it tells me that the Input Size is not correct, tried different values and couldn't find any that work. Could somebody please assist me?

I have emailed Ramsey but have not gotten a reply yet and I also contacted their local office here in South Africa but they could not help me.

Further to Will's point of it being trial and error,.  You can set everything correctly for your assembly instances and sizes, but need to verify the Comm FOrmat, by default it is Data-INT, but your device might need another format.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have attached an extraction from the manual with the settings.

According to the manual the Comm Format is Data - INT. I have tried the setting they recommend but then I get a Invalid Input Size error, so I changed the size to 208 instead of 210 and then the message changed to Invalid Output Size. I then tried all the available options from 1 -- 248 and every time I got the same error. I will try what you guys suggested and hopefully I can get it working.

20160906151057885.pdf

Hi Jaco. Hope you are well.

Did you manage to get the comms going between the Ramsey Micro-Tech 9101 and te Control Logix? I am sitting with the exact same problem. Invalid Input size... I even have the same manual. How can they put wrong or inaccurate info in a manual?

I would love to hear from you!

Cheers

No, could not get it working.

Ramsey couldn't even help me, they said I must get a Modbus/TCP module for the PLC to get it working. 

Thank you for replying. That's not good news. Looks like this is going to be a long week!

Do you have experience with Wireshark, and/or the ability to connect a "mirror" port on an Ethernet switch to capture Ethernet traffic ?

The ControlLogix and the slave device are actually negotiating the data connection size, but only the "wrong size" error is shown to the user. 

I do not have any experience with that but I can give it a try.

First go ahead and figure out if your switch supports port mirroring;  most managed switches do.   

It's always a little disappointing when third parties put weak support for EtherNet/IP into their product.    Documenting and troubleshooting that stuff used to be most of my job, and the differences between company attitudes was striking, whether enthusiasm (HMS Fieldbus), apathy (Atlas-Copco), or conflict (Emerson).

If the size is the only problem, we can probably sniff out the issue.

Hi Johan,

I contacted Ramsey in America and they said you must make sure that the MT9101 is running the latest firmware which is 140.00.03.03. You can check it by scrolling on the main run screen. He also sent me the latest manual. I have attached the manual.

There are some differences, the input instance is still 100 but the size is 208, the Output instance and size stayed the same at 112 and 130, respectively. The configuration instance I first tried 4 and the size 0 but it did not work, then I changed it to 3 and it connected and the tags started reading but I cannot make sense of the tags. I could only see the Zero and Span reference values. The rest of the tags gives values which does not make sense. I will email them again and see if they can help me.

REC4281K.zip

Edited by JacoRoselt

Hallo Jaco. Firstly :Thank you for your efforts.

I checked the firmware revision and it is the latest. I added all the inputs and outputs as you can see in the file. But now I get a connection error? I wonder if the 1756-ENBT is not culptret now. I will do some more trial and error. 

Please see the attached file for info.

Thank you again.

Regards 

Ramsey(2).docx

I also had some issues. What version firmware do you have on the ENBT? I'm using Revision 6.6.

How are you connecting the MT9101 to the PLC? 

1756-ENBT Ver 4.

I just got the connection going with an 1756-EN2T.

The READ values looks all strange. Maybe because it's a lot of INT's. Must see what's going on there. There is no value which is similar to that found in the webserver.

I connect through a Stratix 8000  Allen Bradley switch. 

If you flash the ENBT to the latest firmware it should also work.

I also saw the same problem but you have to use the COP instruction to copy the INT's to a tag with data type REAL. I have attached a snapshot of the ladder logic that I used to test. Make sure about the length, certain tags are 2 long and others 1.

Capture.PNG

Edited by JacoRoselt
Added some detail.

Hallo Jaco.

Well done!

Thank you. I am up and running.

I copied the INT's to the rate, load EST. 

Cheers and have a great day!

It's a pleasure.

I am just as glad that it is working. Have been struggling for months.

Enjoy your day!

Thank you. They say engineering is a team sport! 

Hi all.

I searched for internet how i can comunicate MicroTech to Logix System.... In plant i have MicroTech 9301 and CompactLogix and ControlLogix..... So, a read and configurate how you say you, but i have error whit the Input Connection Size....

Do you have some idea for what i can do??

Thank for all.

Edited by Colivares

Good day, 

What settings did you use for the Input Connection Parameters?

The settings that worked for me on the MicroTech MT9101 was:

Comm Format: Data - INT

Assembly Instance:

Input:                 100      Size: 208

Output:              112      Size: 130

I will confirm the settings when I am back at work on Monday.

You can maybe try asking Ramsey for the latest manual, that is what helped me in the end.

Edited by JacoRoselt

Hello, I did what they indicate and the same error still appears. Today I sent an email to Ramsey ... Hopefully they respond.

If you know it can be, I would appreciate it.

I attach images.

Regards,

Configuration.JPG

Connection.JPG