Lukkam

Communication Issue, FX3 to AB PVC600 HMI

7 posts in this topic

I'm experiencing an odd issue with the FX3 PLC. We have an Allen Bradley PanelView Component 600 (Hateful thing) HMI that we have been using with the FX3 PLC with no problems. All of a sudden, new FX3 PLCs that come from our supplier will not communicate with the PVC600. We use a "SC-09" programming cable from the HMI (DB9 serial) to the programing port on the FX3 (mini din8). There have been no changes to the PLC or HMI programs. We use FX3U-FLROM-16 to store the PLC program. If i take the programmed memory cassette out of the older FX3 (the working one) and put it in the new FX3, the HMI loses communication with the newer FX3. The only difference I have found was that my old FX3 that communicates just fine is a Firmware 2.70 and the new ones that don't work are a firmware 3.15. Has anyone experienced similar issues and can point me in the right direction with were to look for a solution? To rule out a "faulty PLC' i took two more out of stock, both firmware 3.15 and both had the same problem. We have machines in the field with the FX3 and PVC600 combination that work just fine.

I did some batch monitoring through GX Developer. In the New FX3 (Ver 3.15) I get a value of 6301 in D8063 which is “Serial communication error 1” and means “Parity, overrun or framing error.”

In the older FX3 (Ver 2.70) I don’t get any errors in D8063, but I do get error 6201 in D8062 which is “Serial communication error 0” and means the same thing “Parity, overrun or framing error.”

I’m wondering what the difference is between Serial Communication error 0, 1, and 2? Maybe the communication from the HMI was never setup correctly from the beginning and the older FX3 didn’t care, whereas the newer FX3 needs this to be correct? It would be very helpful to know what the Baud Rate, Parity, Data Bits, Stop Bits, and flow control should be to talk to the FX3.

This is the extent of communication setup in the HMI. Any suggestions?

This configuration has always worked in the past. I found the following information somewhere online from a non-Mitsubishi source regarding default FX3 serial communication:

Baud Rate = 9600, Parity = Even, Data Bits = 7, Stop bits = 1, Flow control = None.

I tried those parameters with no success. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Looks like my picture failed to attach in the first post.

Capture.JPG

1) And where is the "Parity = Even, Data Bits = 7, Stop bits = 1" = 7E1, you have tested? In the attached screenshot I see another settings: 8N1 ;

2) On default the baudrate for FX3U programming port is 115200 Baud, not a 19200 or 9600 Baud ;

3) Usualy to take effect when you change communication port settings to some new, is need to reboot (to power off/on) the device, for which the settings has been changed.

Hope it will help.

Thanks, for the reply. To clarify, the attached picture is of the communication setup that has always worked in the past. It did not match up with what I found online, so I tried the values I found (960baud, even parity, 7 data bits, 1 stop bit). These didn't seem to work either. I will try again with 115200 baud and follow your suggestion of rebooting.

On another forum thread I found something where the poster was trying to communicate with a SLC5/03 and PVC600, and the issue ended up being that the PLC name did not match. It does not match in my programs either. This was never an issue before but its worth trying. One thing I cant figure out is, what is the Address window for under Controller Settings in the picture?

14 minutes ago, Lukkam said:

To clarify, the attached picture is of the communication setup that has always worked in the past.

With the communication settings, like it's shown on the picture, it was impossible to connect with FX3U PLC programming port. It is possible to connect with additional port: either RS232, using RS232 cross cable, or RS422, using  SC09.

21 minutes ago, Lukkam said:

One thing I cant figure out is, what is the Address window for under Controller Settings in the picture?

The PLC programming port does not require an address field in the communiation frame.

What should the settings be to communicate to the FX3 with a SC09 through the programming port? Are there any registers in the PLC that I can look at that shows the serial communication values? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to this. Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Lukkam said:

What should the settings be to communicate to the FX3 with a SC09 through the programming port? Are there any registers in the PLC that I can look at that shows the serial communication values? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to this. Thanks in advance.

The default comm settings is 115200-7E1. When you've already connected to PLC, you can change the baudrate to another value. To connect with PLC and then to change the baudrate you should use some MELSOFT PLC programming software (GX Developer, or GX IEC Developer, or GX Works). There are no registers in PLC in which you could look the communication settings for programming port, at least I don't know about.

P.S.

"at least I don't know about".

Moreover, even such register would present in PLC, anyway you have not access to them until you have not access to PLC via general programming or an additional port...

Edited by Inntele