Tweeker

ControlLogix 32 bit versus 64 bit applications

8 posts in this topic

I pulled an old ControlLogix application from a Windows2000 computer and it will not open on my Windows 7 machine.  Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

What's it say when you open it? It is likely a rslogix version mismatch

1 person likes this

The version is 10.07.  I was using the win2000 pc, which has a very small screen, and wanted to move it to my win7 machine.  But it crashes when I try to open it there. 

20160826_154655_resized.jpg

Now what versions to do you have installed on your Win7 machine?  You will need v10 to open the file.

From the picture, I would say your RSLogix 5000 might not be installed correctly, remains to be seen.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Did you "move" the Allen Bradley software or the program? You can't copy the program from W2k to W7, You have to install it, move the license, install the license on the W7 box

I have a file on an old IBM Thinkpad W2K machine.  The file is an ControlLogix Ver. 10.07 file.  I copied it on a flash drive.  I attempted to open the same file on a Dell Win7 64bit machine using ControlLogix Ver 10.07 and I get the error message above in the previous post.  I did not move the software.  The same version is on the two different computers.  The file opens on the IBM and crashes on the Dell.

Ok, since you have v10 installed on both PCs and the file won't open on the Win7, I suspect that the install of RSLogix5000 went poorly on Win7 machine.

Have you been able to open any other files on the Win7 machine?  Specifically, v10 files?  If not, then uninstall and reinstall RSLogix 5000 v10, verify you licensing is correct, then try to open the file.

Barring any further success, I suggest you call RA TechSupport.

A solution that resolves this dilemna, running WinXP applications (such as an older version of Logix5000) on Windows 7/10 PCs, is to virtualize your old WinXP PC on your new PC.  VMWare Workstation is my preferred solution.  One gotcha...your new PC CPU must support hyperthreading (which about every new CPU does, today).

When wanting to "move" Logix5000 (Studio5000) to a newer PC, one has to install the latest version of Studio5000 along with the older firmware versions.  

Another tried and true method...keep an old WinXP laptop setup and handy.  Read the fine print on the latest software revisions about the required hardware and software versions.

1 person likes this