aakash

about encoder

7 posts in this topic

hi

Can any one tell me how cam encoder is configured ,programmed .How that analog signal is converted to digital tho i guess ad converter is used ,i have to know how its communicate to plc

Regards 

An encoder would not normally be connected to AD. It is connected to high speed digital IO which increments or decrements a register (usually 32 bit/double word) on the rising or falling edge of the logic.

This could be just a single phase (one on-off pulse to one DIO) or multiple phases to detect direction. It could be Gray code https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_code which PLCs usually have a function to decode.

To set up and program high speed IO  you need to refer to the manuals for your hardware. There are too many different possibilities to be able to comment on that.

Can u suggest how to check my encoder configuration if possible.And where can i see the possible ways to connect encoder to plc is there any manual available

Thanks

It is not possible to answer your questions unless you give the names of the parts you are using.

yea we are using motion cpuQ173DCPU with module Q173PX ,abscoder VRE-PO62SBC, CC link module QJ61BT11N .Any other part name is required / please tell me  .Thanks

Regards

I had a quick look at that Abscoder. I am not familiar with this part at all but to me it looks like you have 2 options; the Q built in unit to go onto the bus next to the CPU or the CC-Link unit to link to your QJ61BT11N. Either one of those parts should be enough to get it working. There should be programming examples in the manual that you can follow.

In this case it seems to be that the encoder and high speed counter are sold as a set so they should work fine together. However, in general, consider the following when choosing high speed input:

What voltage level is the encoder switching? Or is it a line driver?

What is the resolution of the encoder and the maximum angular velocity of the shaft to be measured? For example if it's 3600 pulses per rotation and ωmax is 1000rpm, you will get 60,000 pulses per second. The counter max. frequency should be at least double that i.e. more than 120kpps or 120kHz.

Is the encoder NPN or PNP and is it rated for the load (in mA) that will be placed on it by the counter circuitry?