gromit

How to set ControlLogix 1756-ENBTgateway address

8 posts in this topic

How do I set the ControlLogix 1756-ENBTgateway address?

I was trying to make a gateway ip change on a ControlLogix using RSLinx and it gives me an error.  I would expect a comm loss when making the change but this error is not the same because the setting never changes.

The current gateway is 0.0.0.0 and I’m trying to change it to 10.224.4.1.  Same subnet as the primary ip.  Some people I’ve talked to suggests it may be necessary to change it from a different connection other than the connection I’m trying to change.  For example, a serial connection or a different Ethernet connection.

Error: An unexpected communications error has occurred. General status is 0x0009 

1756-enbt_config_pic.jpg

1756-enbt_mod_props_when_viewed_from_RSLogix5000.jpg

Are you pressing the Set button after you change the Gateway address? (I know... obvious but it has to be eliminated)

What address is used in the General Tab?

I have seen a few times if you do not enable BootP, it will not accept a gateway. I know weird. 

I had one today I just changed online and had no issues. I did it via the PLC I/O Tree.

Like Michael said, make sure to hit Set and not just ok or apply.

Michael & Armadillo852,

I did hit the set button and it gave me a different error but I don't remember what it was because I did this last week and I don't have access to it right now.

I'll try to get into it tomorrow and get the specific error message.

I believe the general tab had a 192.168.x.x address.

So, are you saying that the gateway can be changed online without changing modes.

Any guidelines or specifics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I did hit the set button and it gave me a different error

So, are you saying that the gateway can be changed online without changing modes.

The error you got when you hit Set was probably to tell you that you were going to lose comm or maybe it was complaining about the address in the General tab not being on the same subnet, or both

It can be done. If you are changing it while connected to the port you'll lose comm with the PLC because RSLinx won't be pointed to the right address. It's easier to change it with a serial cable.

If he is just setting the gateway he shouldn't lose comms as his ip address will still be the same.  Armadillo852's comment about having to set the BootP is interesting.  Pretty easy to try and I for one would be very interested to hear if that solves your problem.  Just make sure you turn it back off again after you make your gateway change (if it works).  

Thanks...I hope to put it through the paces today and will report back.

Thanks.

So I tried this today at a plant I was at. I had 0 issues changing the gateway. I did NOT enable bootP. It just worked. Interesting. I will install that exact firmware tomorrow and try it. Maybe it is a firmware issue?