Michael Lloyd

CLX Message to SLC error...

9 posts in this topic

I've got quite a few message (CIP Data Table Read and CIP Data Table Write) from CLX to CLX PLC and they work fine. I just implemented one from a CLX to SLC/05 and it's not happy. I have the others in a 2000 ms Periodic Task. They are happily toggling away and have been for a while. The CLX to SLC is set up the same way

I increased the time of the Periodic Task to 10000ms thinking the slow VSAT connection was the problem. Nope...

CIP Data Table Write.

CLX Integer tag to N7:10 (problem?)

1 Element

Comm: Ethernet, 2, IP address of the SLC, 1, 0

Enabled and Enable Waiting are lit.

Every now and then I get an error code and extended error code (Googling returned a lot but no answer I could use)

Error Code: 163001f

Extended Error Code: 0000_0204  Unconnected message timeout.

No error path

Error Text:  Error Processing Connection Related Service

Thoughts?

Edited by Michael Lloyd

While the SLC in theory should ignore the final "Slot, Port" segment of the CIP path, it can't hurt to delete it.   SLC-5/05 and PLC-5E controller Ethernet ports are themselves the endpoint of the CIP path because there is no backplane object similar to that of the ControlLogix.

Error 0x0204 is an ordinary CIP Connection Timeout.

Are you certain the SLC-5/05 is new enough to support EtherNet/IP ?   If it's more than about 15 years old it might support only the older A-B CSPv4 protocol.

1 person likes this

I'm not certain about the capability to support EIP. I did find one thing wrong- Instead of CIP Data Table Write it should be SLC Typed Write. It didn't fix it though. I'll try getting rid of the CIP path

Correction, It's about 4 years old. Maybe 5, so it should be fine. I tried to set a message block up on the other end but it didn't look like that would work

I should have noticed the CIP Data Table write... you are correct that the SLC can only accept an SLC Typed Read/Write style command.

If your workstation is on the same network, try using the TCPING utility (www.elifulkerson.com) to test a TCP connection to Port 44818 and Port 2222.     44818 is EtherNet/IP, while 2222 is the old A-B CSPv4 protocol.    If the SLC doesn't accept a TCP connection on that port, then either it's very old or there's something wrong in the networking between the ControlLogix and the SLC.

1 hour ago, Ken Roach said:

I should have noticed the CIP Data Table write... you are correct that the SLC can only accept an SLC Typed Read/Write style command.

If your workstation is on the same network, try using the TCPING utility (www.elifulkerson.com) to test a TCP connection to Port 44818 and Port 2222.     44818 is EtherNet/IP, while 2222 is the old A-B CSPv4 protocol.    If the SLC doesn't accept a TCP connection on that port, then either it's very old or there's something wrong in the networking between the ControlLogix and the SLC.

Both PLC's are on a large SCADA network (think- takes all day to drive from end to end - large). The driver is Kepware and the port is 44818 for both. But, the SLC is behind a VSAT (the spawn of Satan imho) and that can cause "inbound" problems but "outbound" usually works ok. I'm going to try a read message from SLC to CLX when I can upload to them. I can't map SLC IO in the CLX if it's online and I can't add an integer array to the SLC when it's online. 

Hi Michael, I have what seems like an identical situation to you. Any updates would be most appreciated!

I'll have to pull up both programs when I'm at work to see how I resolved this issue. The cell modem (either or both ends) issue I had went away when I port forwarded the PLC IP to port 2222. This post was a different problem than the cell modem and I don't recall if it was resolved and how it was resolved if so.

Thanks, I will look through your history for your cell modem issue. We have around 300 physical locations each with 4G primary and VSAT backup, and our issue is that PLC to PLC messages typically do not work when one site is on VSAT. Both on VSAT is no problem, both on 4G is no problem. 

And of course the only time I have seen 4G-VSAT messaging work was today when I tried to reproduce the issue in a controlled environment with spare hardware/routers.