markbrule

Acquriing Data from Omron PLCs

4 posts in this topic

I'm an experienced software developer but new to interfacing to PLCs. I'm looking for a way to get data from an Omron PLC that implements CIP - I've found OpENer and that seems promising, but I see it is a Rockwell project and I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected Omron PLCs. Without trying to join and digest the entire ODVA spec, what's the best way to get started?

First, you need to be specific on which Omron PLCs.  Different levels of controller work at different levels of CIP.  And why CIP?  Omron has their own Ethernet methods (FINS) that are easy to implement.  If you're just getting data to a PC, either one would work.

This topic has come up many times, so search the forum and you may find the info you need.

Thanks for your reply. The Omron PLC we're using is the CJ2M with the CPU31 module.

I had originally put FINS as a plan B for a couple reasons. This is just the first PLC we'll be integrating, and I want to open the door to other products in the future. Also, from what I can see there is only a Windows driver for FINS, and I'm hoping to use a Linux platform for my solution. However, schedule may dictate that we start with FINS rather than biting off a CIP implementation.

I did a lot of reading through this forum (full of excellent content) and elsewhere, but I couldn't find anyone writing about OpENer use with any Omron PLCs, which led to my question. Either it's simple and nobody had a problems or it hasn't been done. :)

You can use Socket Service to communicate your plc and data can be sent or received between client and server.

You will require  ETN21 to use Socket Service

Edited by himanshuKamboj