gromit

RSView32 on VM machine

8 posts in this topic

One on my colleagues was solicited to recover a PC that had failed that had RSView32 and RSLogix 5000 loaded on it.

Since time was of the essence and since they were not able to locate the software serial numbers, he made an image of a PC that served as the second HMI/Ops station on the network.

He then found that the software wasn't activated and called on Rockwell to activate the software through Factory Talk Activation Manager, until either the serial numbers can be found or new software or licenses are purchased.

Anyway, the question is this...in the interim, could the two workstations work properly on the same network even though they have the same software serial number, or is there anything that would prevent this?

I seemed to recall hearing that there was measures in place that would prevent this but cannot recall the specifics.

Also, two other RSView questions

1. Is RSLinx Professional or equivalent required for RSView32 to work or is RSLinx Lite sufficient?
  2. Can an RSView32 application be converted into the new Factory View platform?

Thanks. 

Gromit,

Not an exact answer here, but...

For serial numbers, this should be ok.  My reasoning is that integrator, like my self, have multi-seat licenses that are all under the same serial number.

RSLinx Pro vs. Lite, should work fine, Lite is just limited on the number of connections.

RSView32 app conversion, absolutely can be converted to FTView ME or SE.  The website has plenty of documents on the the conversion process.

pcmccartney1, that for your response.

was measures in place that would prevent this

FactoryTalk creates a unique computer identifier for its own use, and this was a frequent issue when we did Automation Fair and other demos that involved creating many duplicate VMs.   Unless this is a very new RSView32 system, it's unlikely to need the same unique computer ID's in the FactoryTalk Directory as FactoryTalk View SE would.

RSLinx Lite will not serve data to RSView32 because it doesn't support the native RSView32 function calls or OPC.     There were RSView32-specific licenses that were sold to enable RSLinx Classic as the data server;  they were called "RSLinx for RSView".   In general, you're going to need the Standard or Professional or "for RSView" license, not Lite.

Thanks Ken...more good information to consider.

On the one computer with RSView (Not the VM computer), I don't see a RSLinx license when launching EVmove, but RSLinxProfessional appears to be running in the system tray.

In this case, when launching EVmove I only see the following:

1....[RS5K_700.exe] (licenses=2) and

2....[RSView.D1500]:RSView.RSViewD150 (licenses = 1)

What do you make of that?

Also, RSView32 Runtime, RSLogix5000 and TagServer appear in the footer of the toolbar.  

What is the significance of TagServer?

Thanks for the correction Ken.  Didn't realize the Lite limitation on data serving.

TagServer is just a component of RSView32;  it's not installed or activated separately.

Probably one of those other licenses is activating RSLinx Classic Professional.   It's been long enough since I had to research the fine details of RSView32/RSLinx licensing that I don't recall every permutation.